Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2009, 11:55 PM

Default 40X handstop ??

Okay guys don't laugh. I have been shooting for 30+ years. But what is the purpose of the hand stop? Just a place to set your hand when shooting.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:29 AM

Used along with a sling to get a really solid shooting position in the sitting and prone position.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:00 AM

For the 40X and 40XB it is not a handstop, it is called the "front sling swivel base". The one on the 40X is acutally quite small. But yes, it is used to position your hand in a secure, repeatable position.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:48 AM

Thanks guys. I picked up a 541X the other day with one on it as well as a standard sling swivel. I was wondering why there was 2 on the gun.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:23 PM

The rifles with the long accessory rail (such as the 40XB and the Win 52D) give the shooter the option of a second handstop or palmrest closer to the balance point of the rifle which some shooters prefer. The original 40X has a very short rail and is basically designed only for use with the supplied sling swivel base/handstop combo and only has seven "notch/ridges" to adjust the position. The long accessory rail was considered a more flexible system which allows infinite adjustement and the use of aftermarket accessories and was adopted by many manufacturers at the time.

Regards,