Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2009, 03:05 PM

Default Remington 40X or Kimber 82

Once you add sights to the 40X, it's about the same price ($600) as the Kimber 82. Aside from collectability, which is the better rifle? I'm interested more in shooting than looking at it as an investment. Thnx.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:10 PM

Probably the Kimber but not by much from what I have been reading.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:18 PM

I have both and the 40X is hands down the better rifle. I like my Kimbers but my USMC 40X will be the rifle I'm buried with (Can you say treasure hunt?) . On all counts the 40X beats the Kimber, fit & finish, accuracy, handling and investment value. Once you have the 40X in your hands you'll know what I mean.

Last edited by presidentg; 12-03-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:37 PM

I've got the 40X ,Kimber,H&R M12,& a Winchester 52C .The 40X hands down is above all of them except the Winchester 52C and I love both of them. Mike
Old 12-03-2009, 03:48 PM

More options available for the 40X, not to mention parts as well as gunsmiths.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like the 40X is the way to go, so I better get my order in while they are still available. At least the heavy barrels are still on the site.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:02 AM

One important difference - the Kimbers are brand new.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:49 PM

In September I had my paperwork filled out for a Kimber 82. It sat on my computer desk for a month because it just didnt feel right for a reasonably newly produced rifle, not to have any spare parts available. In no way do I blame the CMP, they can do no wrong in my book. It is a fine rifle for a very reasonable price. If anyone gets my finger pointed at them its Kimber.

There are thousands of these rifles out there and the cost of producing the most commonly replaced parts would be a simple task and do much for their corporate image. Kimber's refusal to provide any support whatso ever was the deal breaker for me.

The Remington M40X was the pinnacle of US smallbore rifle manufacture and the Redfield apeture sight was the benchmark of the finest iron sight money could buy.

I think the recent M40X offering was the last of the last. I ordered one and think I made the best choice. If not, I still have time to order a Kimber too.
Maybe.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:12 PM

They will be around on GB and AA, and at gun shows for years and years to come, just not necessarily at CMP prices. Just look at how often SA M 1922's are for sale. Those haven't been a CMP item in forever (if ever). My prediction is that you'll find them at the CMP price, +$100 for at least a year.

Unfortunately, I did not jump soon enough to grab one of the USMC 40x's. Anyone out there having buyer's remorse on theirs? I bought a HB I would be willing to trade + $$$ if you are willing to make an old jarhead happy.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave tengdin View Post
Unfortunately, I did not jump soon enough to grab one of the USMC 40x's. Anyone out there having buyer's remorse on theirs? I bought a HB I would be willing to trade + $$$ if you are willing to make an old jarhead happy.
There are a line of Jarheads that want one but didn't make that cut. Kudos to the lucky few (of which I wasn't).

Semper Fi