Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2009, 09:53 PM

Default Win 52D stock finish ??

What kind of stock finish did the CMP Win 52D have, oil, shiny, or no finish ? Mine has "not much of a finish" Would like to lightly sand and finish with TRUE OIL !! Your advice and information will be greatly appreciated ! thanks. P.S.This is the 2nd time I have tried to to post this question; therefor, if it shows up twice, SORRY
Old 12-09-2009, 11:08 PM

Mine came through with "not much finish" but what was there appeared to be some sort of oil finish. Definately nothing high gloss about it. And, based on looking at some of the dings, the finish didn't penetrate very deeply into the wood.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:10 AM

The US issued Win 52D's I have seen have had a light oil finish. Personally I wouldn't use the TruOil in this application beacuse the resulting finish will be a little more shiney than the original. I would use the Fairtrimmers Military OX and call it good.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:10 AM

The 52D I bought from CMP in 2004(?) had an oil finish but could benefit
from a good cleaning. I had only one or two very small dings with perfect
bore and metal. I've left the stock alone but have dreams of sending it
to Dean's someday for them to work their magic. If I do I will ask for an
oil finish.
I was more than pleased with what CMP sent me and now have a 40X on
order.
JLK
Old 12-10-2009, 09:28 AM

Default I received two 52D's in 2004

The first had a BLO finish, the second, which was a very high serial number and not electro-penciled "U.S.", had a finish that looked like tru-oil. The stock was also not inletted for a rear sling swivel although it did have a rail on the bottom of the stock. HTH
Old 12-10-2009, 05:06 PM

Looks like I need to think BLO. thanks to all.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 PM

I got this off Culvers and RFC :Originally Posted by varmintjager
ss1,

The civilian Winchester 52D stock has a varnished finish with no rear sling swivel. My CMP Winchester 52D has a oil finished stock with a rear sling swivel.

I got this off of Culver's, it goes with what you said :Originally Posted by Binew
It depends on what you have. Since govt. contract rifles have been sold people seem to forget normal factory (civilian) offerings. The rifle in question, 52-D came in two finishes.
The "civilian" was a shiny finish and not restricted to dark chocolate. Some were and some were lighter color stained, but shiny.
The govt. (US Prop.) that I've seen had a rougher exterior and oil type.
So, it depends on what you have.

binew

This explains it. I did not know that there were "civilian" 52D's. Civilians would want shiny finish, the govt. (US Prop.) as mine is, would have cared less about "shiny" , and would have cost more. I have read of some CMP 52D's that had shiny stocks, my GUESS is that the origional ROTC shooter redone the stock. As well as changing the furnature to be able to fit Freeland equiptment. Does this sound correct ?? Thanks to all for information.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:17 AM

Default Level of use / competition probably...

determined what was done with the rifles. A unit/group that had a team or individuals shooting in competition probably modified the rifles to be competitive. The 52s and 40Xs were basically prone rifles. To stay competitive in 3 position, you need an adjustable butt plate. The Anschutz rifles were coming into competition with adjustable everything. Freeland accessories were the way to keep your prone rifle in the game. Just my opinion from what I remember about the early '70's smallbore competition.