X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdl2
    • Feb 2010

I have an old oak teachers desk.
    Wonder if the side outs would be strong enough to mount a press on.
    They look about 3/4 inches thick.
    It would also make it easy to switch my press's out.
    15 years Army National Guard, field artillery...I can't hear 73 Infantry Brigade
    Earned my way up to First Sgt, should have stayed chief of firing battery. We used Colt M16's and I qualified expert at Ft Campbell...very nice!!

Comment

• Keller
      • Jul 2010

I have a small work area, an oversized closet really. I built a small 20” deep by 36” long bench, put 6” deep shelving in the back of the bench to hold the dies and other things. In order to accommodate the different objects used in reloading I installed threaded inserts into the bench top matching the footprints of the different tools or presses. I just use thumb screws to hold them down. Makes moving things around easy. Never had any issues with the inserts loosening.

Comment

• heckinohio
        • Jan 2010

I cant post pictures here as no manage attachment feature. I built a 22x24 garage attached to a rental house basement, 1978. I kept & worked on my race cars there for 3 years. The work benches are 6' under a window & 12' under two windows, opposite side. The horizontal supports are 2x4x24 attached to the outwall studs w/3" deck screws, 48" apart. Front is 2x6 on top of notched 4x4 legs & work area is 2' wide 3/4 plywood.

Certainly strong enuff to bolt several reloaders to along with room for Donnas walnut breaking vise at one end & my valve grinder at the other end. There are three sets of 3' x18" shelves in three corners. Each work bench has a 18" wide shelf underneath the whole length. Lots of overhead 8' tube lites. I still rebuild cyl heads, 4/5 speeds & carbs.

Pretty good set up for a converted area.

PJH

Comment

• i1afli
          • Nov 2011

Sounds like my kind of garage, Heck...cars and guns.

Comment

• pinholeshoot
            Banned
            • Aug 2017

Originally posted by leadspitter View Post
            i, like many others was once where you're at. I did some searching on the internet and came across this.

http://www.bghi.us/index.php?x=bench

it is what i ended up making. I just decided on what size i wanted mine to be, made a little drawing, did some math to determine how much i would need and of what, and wa-la.

And i will post some pictures of it. I've been suppose to be getting pictures of my little set up for another forum i belong to so i'll try to get some pictures taken this weekend and post them on both forums.

thi is really really nice, i bet it cost top $

Comment

• Rimfire
              • Jan 2010

My little bench. I got a table cheap at Habitat for Humanity and threw the top away as it was bowed real bad. I then went to my old workplace and got a solid core wood door and cut it to size and edged it. It turned out to be a really heavy and strong work surface. I dont reload much for rifle any more just pistol. I do have some carbine dies on the way though.

Comment

• luigi
                • Mar 2011

I have a 3 car garage and dedicated 1 bay to my man stuff! Fan in summer and electric space heater in winter. Bought a Harbor Freight work bench with vise. I mounted press and trimmer to board that can be clamped to bench. I can store the press & trimmer below when cleaning guns, etc. I keep the powder and electronic scale in the house. Works for me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kLMFW6gsMMGl8sPD3

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...nch-69054.html
                Last edited by luigi; 04-02-2018, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• mycanoe44
                  • Feb 2016

This is what Messy looks like!!

https://imgur.com/a/ywgtX

Four or five projects with no cleanup in between. Plus 2 recent CMP FGs completely torn apart for cleaning and part IDing. It bugs me every time I look at the mess but I have the same issue with the carpentry/fabricating/welding area in the shop. Multiple project messes until I get disgusted and spend 1/2 day cleaning up.

The heavy duty shelf unit and MDF work bench top are from Menard's. Very heavy duty and can be disassembled for moving.

The black file cabinet in the background is a fire proof unit from the 1940s. It weighs around 500 lbs. It was surplus warehouse equipment I got for $10 as there was no key (it was taped inside!!). Works great for powder, primers, etc. The heavy duty steel workbench with back and upper and lower shelves and drawer was from the same sale $20. I put a laminated pine workbench top on it from one of the big box stores, plus electrical outlets. Added lights to both benches and overhead track lighting. Vice is from Lowe's, it spins and rotates. The Lee Classic Turret Press is mounted on a riser that I TIG welded up out of diamond plate aluminum.
                  Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rapidly promoted by the mainstream media, which holds that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

• mycanoe44
                    • Feb 2016

It's too bad most all the earlier picture links are broken. IIRC there were some pretty impressive and innovative benches/reloading areas. There were also a couple guys just clamping a press on the dining room table or in a small closet LOL!
                    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rapidly promoted by the mainstream media, which holds that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

• S.A. Boggs
                      • Jan 2013

I bought a 12x20' shed with two lofts fore and aft, not big enough. Now I am adding on a 12x14' room with a wood stove for heat and a detached 8x16 casting shed.
                      Sam

Comment

• cdl2
                        • Feb 2010

Pix would be great!!!!
                        Thanks
                        15 years Army National Guard, field artillery...I can't hear 73 Infantry Brigade
                        Earned my way up to First Sgt, should have stayed chief of firing battery. We used Colt M16's and I qualified expert at Ft Campbell...very nice!!

Comment

• Defender3
                          • Mar 2010

My setup. The basement is like a black hole sucking in any light within 3 parsecs. I added overhead LED's and have the clarity akin to a multiple star system.

The too clean and organized view:

The normal view:

I cut channels for Rockler T-Tracks so I can easily move tools in and out based on what I need. Using that concept, I added a T-7.

Last edited by Defender3; 11-13-2018, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• jarheadteacher
                            GSM Master Instructor
                            • Oct 2009

Very nice D3. Jealous of so many other people's talents here.
                            "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition."
                            Rudyard Kipling

Distinguished Rifleman 2383
                            CMP RSO II

Comment

• duke
                              • Oct 2009

I don't know how to post pictures i have a 2 story garage and the second floor is my reloading shop.My loading bench is 2x10s with a 3/8" plywood top the shop is the whole 2nd floor my wife hates it because i took all the space

Comment

Working...
                              X