Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2018, 03:30 PM

Default My wife's family dates way back as well

Her father Dr Joseph Baldwin, who is alive and kicking at 99 has direct ties to Bland Ballard the Kentucky Indian fighter. He's from Tennessee just across the border.

There used to be all of the census information on the internet which is where all of the family stuff comes from. All of that has been secured by the various companies that charge by the month to look.

My great grandfather TP Hackett the US Marshall in I.T. and his brothers were on the wrong side of an election in the territory and it apparently almost came to violence. The winners sent people to Wash DC and brought trumped (sounds great doesn't it?) up charges against Benjamin Hackett and his brothers and the Teddy Roosevelt administration fired the whole lot in around 1901. I found that on a vintage NY Times article. My mother was still alive and I asked her if she knew about this, she didn't and apparently it was hushed up and kept from everyone who was their neighbor in Spiro, OK. TP was listed as a Doctor and pharmacist in family history. I have some of his business cards from his True Grit days in Poteau, so I know it's true.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:48 PM

Impressive!

I have paternal lineage all the way to 3x great grandfather in PA; he got here 1817 from Prussia. I got a Model 1816 that gramps claimed was used by [family] in Civil War; no doc's tho'...

Did any Americans STOP waving their US Flags on /09/11/01, because their arms were tired from waving it on 09/10/01?
Old 01-19-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious6 View Post
Too funny!!! I bow to my older and wiser Lord.
The real reason, because dad's relatives were given two choices, Door # 1, Death or door #2, leave for the colonies and never return or face door #1. They took door #2.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:06 PM

Interesting subject. I guess the reason my brother and I like M1 Garands so much is that it's in our DNA. This is a link to a highway marker in North Carolina where my great,great,great,great, grandfather (John DeVane) had a gun factory during the Revolution. Our mother was a member of the DAR.

https://www.ncdcr.gov/blog/2015/04/2...ayonet-factory
Old 01-19-2018, 04:17 PM

Don: Cromwell was such a swell guy wasn't he. I just read a great book "The Taste of Empire" Lizzie Collingham, it goes into detail of how shabby the Irish were treated by our British cousins. It is far, far worse than anyone can imagine.
I know that a Hackett (Sir Thomas) was Lord Mayor of Dublin 1687, I've never looked to see if we are related. But when you're Royalty (Bruce) you don't have to show anybody no stinken badges.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:26 PM

The British treated everyone horribly. In the late 19th century no country had their boot on the throat of various countries than the English. Now they won't allow their own citizens easy access to firearms. Makes you wonder what they are worried about. Ollie Cromwell was just one of many British that was responsible for their hidden heritage. But that was the way of the world back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHH View Post
Don: Cromwell was such a swell guy wasn't he. I just read a great book "The Taste of Empire" Lizzie Collingham, it goes into detail of how shabby the Irish were treated by our British cousins. It is far, far worse than anyone can imagine.
I know that a Hackett (Sir Thomas) was Lord Mayor of Dublin 1687, I've never looked to see if we are related. But when you're Royalty (Bruce) you don't have to show anybody no stinken badges.

Last edited by dallased; 01-19-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:33 PM

When tracing Revolutionary War ancestry don't forget to look for Quaker connections. They signed oaths of loyalty due to their objections to war but at least they still took a stand.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:03 AM

James Madison is my 2nd cousin 7x removed. Another cousin is buried in a mass grave at the site of the Battle of the Waxhaws. Killed by Banastre Tarleton in 1781.
William A.A. "Big Foot" Wallace is my 2nd cousin 4x removed and is buried at the State Cemetery in Austin. Gen. Clifton B. Cates 19th Commandant of the USMC is my 5th cousin 3x removed.
Sir William Wallace "Braveheart" is my 19th great uncle. Robert the Bruce is a distant great grandfather as are Robert II and Robert III. James I of England is a distant
great uncle.
I'm sure several thousand people can make the same statement.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallased View Post
When tracing Revolutionary War ancestry don't forget to look for Quaker connections. They signed oaths of loyalty due to their objections to war but at least they still took a stand.
Yes they did. It is interesting that even though most of them did not fight, the relatives in VA did. Even one who was a Colonel during the war leading a regiment of Virginia Militia. So maybe mom's side knew Devious6's side back in the 1770s. Mom's family is odd in its heritage as her family name appears in five different DNA sets. Two of which claim to have arrived on these shores at the same time. Three sets come from Ireland. One set is Scottish. The last Norse Viking.

Last edited by Ohio Don; 01-20-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:34 PM

Funny, I was thinking about this the other day...
My son was in Iraq, I was in Vietnam, my Dad in WWII, my grandfather in WWI, great grandfather in the Civil War and great, greats, etc. in the War of 1812 and the Revolutionary War.
I don't think Americans are a particularly bloodthirsty people, and you can argue in hindsight whether some of these wars were right or wrong or even necessary, but at the time it seems important to you to serve your country.

Tinpig