Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2019, 05:58 PM

I'm still wanting to keep shooting my m1a. I just weighed it and it's 9 lbs 1 oz with all gi parts and the fiberglass GI stock unmodified. I'm not going to REMOVE the issued GI components (except for Smith early receiver) just to make weight. That is not AS issued to the military. The civilian models don't even have the disconnect mechanism so it's pretty obvious the original weight was a few oz over 9 lbs.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartblossom1953 View Post
I'm still wanting to keep shooting my m1a. I just weighed it and it's 9 lbs 1 oz with all gi parts and the fiberglass GI stock unmodified. I'm not going to REMOVE the issued GI components (except for Smith early receiver) just to make weight. That is not AS issued to the military. The civilian models don't even have the disconnect mechanism so it's pretty obvious the original weight was a few oz over 9 lbs.
Most likely.... CMP made no attempt to see what the commercial offerings where coming off the line with. This is clear when CMP gives Springfield Armory Inc a clear variation to the weight rule? Why just SAI?
Like i said my rifle now makes weight.
The "similar" portion is a complete mess. Im waiting on my friend to weigh his tricked out socom. i eould love for him to show up to VT. See how they decide to classify him.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:43 AM

Default good source for composite stocks?

At the risk of "poking at the bear(s)" .... I have a stock SAI loaded M1A with the walnut stock. Pretty sure it will come in above 9.0 lbs. As I understand things I could try to shoot her as is in MM, but may or may not be able to depending on how the inspector feels about the stock SAI "exemption". I'm considering changing out the walnut stock for a composite stock and wondered what a good source might be? Appreciate the help!
Old 05-16-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMC View Post
At the risk of "poking at the bear(s)" .... I have a stock SAI loaded M1A with the walnut stock. Pretty sure it will come in above 9.0 lbs. As I understand things I could try to shoot her as is in MM, but may or may not be able to depending on how the inspector feels about the stock SAI "exemption". I'm considering changing out the walnut stock for a composite stock and wondered what a good source might be? Appreciate the help!
HMC, Firstly, I would recommend actually weighing your rifle. There is enough variation that weight might not be an issue. If you do go to a polymer stock, a GI stock might be the best bet. They are stiffer than the SAI polymer stocks. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:45 AM

I purchased a M1A "scout" last year. It came with a light weight SA inc black plastic stock. The accuracy was terrible. I put it into a GI bedded stock (cut out for the infrared night sight) and the accuracy improved greatly. The plastic (fiberglass??) stock weighs 2# 3oz complete with rubber butt pad. A standard GI issue wood stock (complete) was 2# 14oz, for comparison. FWIW. Good Shooting. ....
Old 05-19-2019, 04:24 PM

SA Inc standard with GI bbl in SA Inc heavy profile wood stock w/ leather sling 9.04 lbs, Same rifle in GI synthetic with filled selector no sling 8.01 lbs

Bula standard in GI synthetic filled selector no sling 8.04 lbs

Digital fish scale.