Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2009, 06:34 AM

Default Low Pressure Load Question

I have a really accurate load for my Garand that will not cycle the action consistantly (stove pipe). Is their anything I can do to correct this.
Shorter lighter spring maybe ??
Old 12-30-2009, 08:07 AM

If your load isn't a secret............ Anything you could do without changing the ammo would be directed at increasing the gas impulse or reducing thr resistance to that impulse. You might reconsider whether this is really worth the effort. Good Shooting.........
Old 12-30-2009, 03:28 PM

I know a guy that shoots lead bullets in his Garand. he told me he just kept cutting the op-rod spring untill it would always cycle.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8milimeter View Post
I have a really accurate load for my Garand that will not cycle the action consistantly (stove pipe). Is their anything I can do to correct this.
Shorter lighter spring maybe ??
Have you tried the same powder/bullet combination at a load that does cycle to verify you still have the accuracy you want? You might find that is the case.

Secondly verify the piston diameter on the op-rod is in spec and make sure the gas plug poppet valve isnt leaking.

If everything is in order then you dont have many options. Any modification you'd make to allow the rifle to cycle would be hazardous if you fired normal pressure ammo with the modifications.

Eric