Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2009, 08:09 AM

Default dies for 308 M 742

I've been reading about relaoding and need to know what are some of the differences between regular Lee rgb full length dies and 1. X dies 2. small base dies 3. Who makes them 4. price difference s(Lee set sells for $15 at Cabelas) I noticed the once fired 308 cases cause sticking problems in the 742 Rem and only unfired ammo runs through and can be extracted by pulling the bolt handle back without using a rubber mallet .
Old 12-20-2009, 03:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

I load for a 7400 in .30-06, and regular dies work just fine. The Lee standard dies should be fine. Be sure to full-length re-size and check case length, trim if necessary.

Read the article on loading for gas guns on

www.exteriorballistics.com
ACEP-certified coach
Old 12-20-2009, 04:10 PM

Yes, you need to full length size cases for semi-auto guns. Small base dies should not be required. Generally, they are used for guns with "match" chambers that are cut on the small side. Small base dies also work the brass more than standard full length size dies.

I've read a little bit about the RCBS X dies, but don't know enough to comment about them. I read that many like them.

Neck dies will not work for auto loaders.

I've used lots of Lee dies for pistol cartridges and they work just fine. Lee has some interesting innovations incorporated into some of their dies. If you do buy a Lee set, I would recommend getting a conventional 2 die set that full length re-sizes. I forget the exact details of the Lee Really Great Buys die sets. Go to the Lee web site and learn more.

Over the past few years, I have been trending towards getting seater dies with a micrometer head. Generally, these are marketed as "competition" dies. Although more expensive than conventional dies, if you shoot/experiment with different types of bullets, it makes changing the seater depth very easy. Record the micrometer seating in your reloading log. When you make up that load again, it's easy to get back to the proper seating depth.

Presently, I prefer Redding dies but I have RCBS, Hornady and Lee as well. They all perform well.

If properly cared for, dies last nearly forever.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:30 PM

You should not expect fired cases from full power loads to rechamber and extract easily--they are "blown out". The 742 doesn't have the camming extraction force of a bolt rifle and 308 commercial loads are relatively hot. Quit trying to do that and you won't need the rubber hammer. My guess is you will never load large amounts for ammo for a 742 given the type of rifle it is. You won't really need The X die or micrometer seating dies. Buy the RGB Lee dies and keep your loads moderate. You probably will not need SB dies but they really don't work the brass much more than standard dies anyway. How well standard FL dies work will depend somewhat on how "blown out" the fired cases are. Good Shooting.....
Old 12-20-2009, 10:53 PM

Rcolarco,Cfullgraf,Ceresco, Thank you all for the infromative responses. Really good hot scoop. In the morning the order for the rgb full length goes in to Cabalas and as soon as the weather permits i'll be working on a load for this old carbine. Of interest to me is the weaver 2-8 external adjustable , steel body clone of the old Balvar telescope. The tip off mounts have spring loaded rear adjustment pins that do all the windage and elevation movements.
Again ,thanks for your good advise.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:26 AM

Happy new year ! I got the rgb dies and resized @2oo cases . They all run through the action without the rubber mallet. The dies are great.Now to determine the right load for 110 125 and 150 grain bullets . Any suggestions ?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:48 AM

Unless you have some kind of connection(read discounts) with Cabelas, I think you could get better prices with some of the shooting supply sites. ie, Midway, Midsouth, etc. Just a thought.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:07 PM

RCBS X Dies. I use them all the time in my Garand. The only way to fly!