Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2009, 08:56 AM

I have only fired them at a gong under a hundred yards. At least I could hit it as well as I could with a regular bullet. I doubt that they would perform well as at long range, but I haven't tried it. I have used 11gn and 22 gn of IMR SR4759. Makes for some cheap reloading as the powder and bullet cost are low. I think they for plinking, they are adequate. I do think there is an added safety factor due to the low powder charges and when they hit they are a lot less likely to ricochet.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:22 PM

A local company here produces frangible bullets. I tried some in my Remington 700 silhouette rifle. This rifle normally produces 0.625" groups at 100 yards with Sierra 168gr Matchkings. The frangibles were 125gr. My best load was 44gr of TAC and a CCI LR Mag primer. Grouped 1.115" at 100 yards. 5 shots. Bullets were weighed before loading and were +/- 0.2 grains.

Use caution when working up loads with frangible projectiles. The bullets are long for their weight and therefore have a longer contact area with the rifling. Therefore, pressure will build up quickly! Frangibles are good for close range. Do not expect benchrest type groups.