Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2017, 09:14 PM

Default Thank you, the stock does have the 4 digits 4194 stamped in it.

That makes sense, I knew this was something much different than the couple of Tooele rebuilds posted recently. At least it doesn't have that black finish all over it. I'm going to keep the flat black front hand guard on it I think it is kind of cool for a "Sniper Rifle".
Old 04-03-2017, 07:04 PM

Received my Winchester M1D Service Grade this morning.

I asked for an original finish and I think that I got it. The wood matches really well

The stock has a very faint cartouche that looks like SA/??D with a little ordnance wheel behind it. The wrist has a circle P that is also very faint. No holes where it was drilled for a cheek rest.

Barrel is 8/52 with a ME of 1 and TE of 3
Op rod is a -9
Windage is NHC
Elevation is Hex W
Trigger housing is an IHC
Hammer is HRA
Bullet guide was a -1 SA
Gas cylinder lock has no markings on it
Gas cylinder itself has a narrow front sight base but then has an "&" stamped on top of the flat spot on the rear ring
Looks like two proof marks on bottom of the receiver

Bayonet lug is marked with what I think is a partial H but its missing a leg so it looks like a T

Then there is the blue and yellow-green paint on top of the block. I was told by an CMP armorer that these rifles came straight from the Army so your guess is as good as mine.

The cartouche was really hard to figure out. If anyone has any ideas on what it says, please let me know.

Slideshow.
http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Pain.../slideshow/M1C

Last edited by Paints-n-cows; 04-03-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:12 PM

SA/NFR I'd guess.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:48 AM

Just back from FedEx with my Winchester M1D. I always expect the worse so I won't be disappointed. After opening up the case, I guess indifferent would describe my thought of it. I'm hoping it will shoot well because it is nothing to look at. Nothing like the rifle Firekeep received. The highlight is the SA RA stock (sorry Rob). It is filthy but should look nice with a little elbow grease. The rifle is a typical mixmaster; SA trigger assembly, IHC op-rod. The US Rifle, .30 Cal M1 and Wincheshter heel strike is VERY FAINT and barely readable. The heel has been lead dipped and has a slight color contrast to the rest of the receiver. The muzzle is 0 and the throat is 2. I'll try to post some pictures after the craziness at work ends next week.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:45 PM

Just picked mine up. WRA Sep '44. Original looking greenish GI park on everything except the op rod. No electo pen on any of the legs. ME 0 TE 2, on an SA 1952 barrel. Gas tube is pretty rough, so I'm assuming its WRA. Sight is a little dinged up. Bolt is HRA. Op Rod is SA, as is the milled trigger guard, trigger and safety. Stock is Walnut, drilled for cheek pad, but no cartouches. Has a non serif P, and a heavy duty label maker "2" on it. Scope mount shows some blue locktite residue (or something equivalent). Op Rod is marked M on the charging handle.

I'm assuming this was rebuilt by SA? Anywhere else i should be looking for markings?

Gallery:
https://postimg.org/gallery/fhfo9rgo/

Last edited by JasonFromCT; 04-12-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:59 PM

Detail stripped it down. All parts aside from the bolt and receiver/barrel are early ww2 SA. Bolt is 54-56 HRA, barrel is 10-52. Scope mount has quite a bit of evidence of a scope spending time attached, but the barrel reading indicates not too many shots taken.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:46 PM

Talking Wra m1d

I added a post to the general forum but wanted to officially include in the Sniper pic thread. Here is my June 1944 WRA M1D with Flame Birch stock as received from the CMP in April 2017.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqOVLz-yJ6Fqgmuc__JLaAdcmxge
Old 04-20-2017, 01:25 PM

Default WRA M1d

Received My Win M1d,,, No markings on stock other than small P at grip,, has screw holes for pad,,, really dry where the cheek pad was,, Hand guards almost look like some kind of gloss on them,, Has T E 11-68 etch on leg. Overall,,, very happy,,,