X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • USMC 0331
    • Jul 2014

hudgehog, that's very upstanding of you! I'm sure the CMP will be able to change the invoice to unit117 at your request. When I bought the auctioned 1903A4 back in April, I was told that there was another interested party who would match the sale price if I didn't want to follow through with the sale. That rifle is currently in my gun safe My point being, they'll work something out.

unit117, I think a consecutive serial number M1 range report is in order. Which one will fire tighter groups?! I'm predicting it will be the Springfield

http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail....422271-5422272

Comment

• weimar_police
      • Nov 2012

Obviously your max bid isn't if you have to fight for it.

Let's, see, when I lived in Hawaii for three years, I thought it was 'crap' that a 9pm auction est would be 4 pm, heck I wasn't off work!

Really, you are this upset? There are hundreds of garands for sale on line, but you feel cheated because for two weeks you didn't bid or if you had, it was your max, except to see and stay up and maybe bid more, in case it wasn't your max. I'm confused sport......

Christmas, just figure out your REAL high bid and then bid accordingly.....
      Last edited by weimar_police; 11-25-2014, 12:04 AM.
      Edward Tinker - Co-Author of Police Lugers & Simson Lugers - Veteran Bring Backs Vol 1-4

Comment

• unit117
        Banned
        • Sep 2014

I didnt have the opportunity to place my max bid, the auction was down.

Most of you are missing the point. Its not about ME not winning the rifles. Its the fact that the auction was not allowed to run in its entirety, and the CMP's official response was " We made enough money, so too bad"

I have been PM'd by 2 others who were in similar situations but do not want to muddy the waters for fear of bashing by peanut gallery.

Thank you for your offer, I will consider it. Right now Im more concerned with making this right for anyone else that got hosed. I have 2 sets of consecutives right now, but no PW SA

Comment

• hudgehog
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by unit117 View Post
          Thank you for your offer, I will consider it. Right now Im more concerned with making this right for anyone else that got hosed. I have 2 sets of consecutives right now, but no PW SA
          I am sorry, but I withdraw my offer, based on this response you don't want the rifles, you want to make a fuss. I will be mailing the paperwork today.
          "I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it." Woodrow F Call, Lonesome Dove

Feed Back Link http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=134484

Comment

• ZvenoMan
            • May 2011

I think CMPs response is that the power fault happened, but the auction ran it's full course, less the last several hours. So that seems to be reasonable, compared to cancelling the entire auctions and re-running them.
            Interested parties were allowed 99.99% of the allotted time to bid.
            Like I said, I like to snipe on some auctions, but I have missed out because of connectivity issues (not my fault), life issues (not my fault), etc. My decision, my loss. Not going to blame them on others, and I always remember, they are auctions (for stuff I really want, and really don't need), and I am sure at the end of the day it won't matter.
            Whatever,
            I appreciate the quality work the CMP staff and volunteers do, and while I may not agree with each and every decision they make, I am 100% satisfied that they put good faith effort into considering their mission, their customers, and what is right when they do make decisions, so that is more than good enough for me.
            Others may disagree.....
            JH
            Zvenoman

Comment

• unit117
              Banned
              • Sep 2014

If you think putting a max bid in 8 days before the auction ends is going to win you the item, you havnt spent much time on the cmp auctions.

All the action happens withing an hour of the auction closing.

It is what it is, its just disheartening to see the CMP more concerned about money than customers.

Comment

• ZvenoMan
                • May 2011

So the guys that placed bids, increased them, decided to let them ride, and the ones who : won should have their wins retraced because of this? Here's an easy way to solve this:
                Had you been able to place your bid, for whatever auction, what would it have been? The winner said his win was below his max bid, so it may not have mattered anyway.
                Or is that not the point, as the item itself isn't?
                CMP operates with limited resources, and the auctions are one task of one person, and one part of their operation. This is not the first technical issue, and 'm sure it won't be the last, but the nature of auctions is drama, so at the end of the day, any technical issue is a challenge, to which there is no perfect solution.
                Sorry you didn't get to place your max bid, especially when offered the item below that.
                JH
                Zvenoman

Comment

• CMPMikeD
                  • Feb 2014

Unit117, you're completely correct. We were not thinking of you, our loyal customers. Instead, we were too busy waiting up with the electricians and power company ensuring that our building (the same building that houses the auction room), and the host of one of our biggest matches of the year, gets power restored. Otherwise, we would have had over 100 youth shooters very upset that we put the extra $500 we would have made from you over their development as young adults.

No matter what, we would have lost by your account. We, the CMP, have never been able to please everyone.

If you can give us tips or advice on how to prevent the power from going out in our building, please let us know.

Comment

• unit117
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2014

I understand and also live the CMP's mission of Marksmenship and fundamentals, and wouldnt ask you to deprive the juniors of a match.

Your making it sound like simply restarting the auction, even if you end it this Friday is such a huge deal?

You've made nothing but excuses. You couldn't shoot an email to the high bidders, using the same excuses you've laid out and say that your restarting them to let them run there course? If the current high bidders bids are truly going to be the high bids, whats 4 more days of waiting? It takes you a month to ship the stuff out, so whats the rush?

Comment

• CMPMikeD
                      • Feb 2014

Now that your frustration has shifted focus to the high bidders, I would like to reiterate GiTM's apology for not winning the auction in question and wish you the best of luck in future auctions. May the odds be ever in your favor.

Comment

• ZvenoMan
                        • May 2011

CMPMIKED, you are missing the point. It's not that CMP needs suggestions on how to make the power not go out, CMP just needs to make the power not go out. Period.
                        Anything less than perfect, is, well, not perfect!

(again, for those who didn't get it, I was kidding above!)
                        If I am following the CMP logic, the power fault affected the last few hours of the (2 week? 3 week?) auction. However, the auction did "end" and the emails went out to the winners before CMP had a chance to evaluate the situation. And, the auctions were not the only priority, as the next day had the match that was in danger due to the power issue as well.
                        When CMP looked at "the $ in the auctions" it appeared the totals were in the range they normally are (not hard to predict in MY opinion), so the choices were to cancel/invalidate the auction, and send what, 2 dozen emails to the not-winners, and start again, or leave it as-is. MY observation is that both decisions are not perfect, and so they made a call, and so be it.
                        I see nothing wrong with the logic (and if I did, it's inconsequential anyway!), but it seems to me that this decision was made just like 99,99% of the other CMP decisions I have seen to fix an error, in that CMP attempted to be fair, to be reasonable, and to keep in mind they have limited, finite resources.
                        Had they made the "other" decision and invalidated the auctions and re-run them, I am sure the complaints would be similar. And it would be exactly as unfair to the "losers" in that scenario.
                        Like the feedback forum mentioned above, if it becomes to much burden compared to the value, it may go away. Sure, I "liked" the feedback, but having been in some conversations with CMP moderators (over lunch) about mitigating some of the disputes (that come with any forum), keeping in mind CMP provides the forum at their expense, to US, I understand that decision as well.
                        Working as a volunteer in Anniston I pulled out many items for review that I felt would be good auction material, simply because I see that some people value the unique, and it is a win for everyone. If the auctions become more trouble than they are worth they will go away, and you can take your chances with the "one offs" that will simply be placed in the store with no notice.
                        Here is a thought,
                        To protest, why don't we form an angry mob.....
                        What, what did I say?

JH
                        Zvenoman

Comment

• CMPMikeD
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ZvenoMan View Post
                          Anything less than perfect, is, well, not perfect!
                          We strive for perfection in this sport
                          Here is a thought,
                          To protest, why don't we form an angry mob.....
                          What, what did I say?

Comment

• Big_Red
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by CMPMikeD View Post
                            We strive for perfection in this sport
                            Good morning Mike...well-said! Notwithstanding this issue/thread, hope all is well on your end...will call or shoot you an e-mail today.

*Break*
                            As far as this thread goes, Ghost and Mike have responded succinctly to the original question. Like it or not, this is OBE and we're just spinning tires here.
                            As such, locking this one down, pending any further responses by Ghost or Mike as they see fit.

Regards,
                            Rob
                            Proud son of a Vietnam Veteran (1969, 1970) - In memoriam
                            OEF - '02, '08 / OIF - '03, '10 / OND - '11 / OIR/OEF - '15

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544

Comment

The power outage was out of CMP control and could happen again. The power outage was non-biased and not a conspiracy plot formulated in the bowls of CMP. If it happens again, we will handle the same way, i.e. no re-auction. All auction snipers need to be aware that the power could go off at any time during an auction especially at the end and you may not get the opportunity to snipe. The auction site's goal is to make money to place in our endowment which pays for CMP's performance of its mission.

Comment

Working...
                              X