Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2018, 09:05 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Interesting, was not aware that the USMC(larger) sight cover would have the same drawing number as a standard sight cover. I guess you learn something new every day.
https://s19.postimg.org/oomnan7wz/19...r_numbered.jpg
Those that are pictured are standard sight protectors. They are not USMC hoods.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevinator View Post
I have the larger type on my M1903 and M1903 A3. They both have a number on the left side: C64157-4
If they are real and they have that number on them they are not the larger ones. They are sight protectors not USMC sight hoods.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
Those that are pictured are standard sight protectors. They are not USMC hoods.
I know, it was a "smart a$$" response.....

Last edited by Shomway; 03-13-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:14 PM

About the only way to make a standard sight protector even remotely useful for shooting is to take a pair of ViseGrips and squeeze it to make the opening narrower and taller. I did that on one before I bought a couple genuine hoods way back when they were readily available. These days, it just isn't worth buying a real one unless you have money to burn when Bill Bentz can supply you with a repro that will do what you need it to do for far less $$. He can also supply the front and rear sights that make the hood even more effective for shooting competition.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:32 PM
Banned

The sight hood most commonly available first appeared with the 1905 modification of the M1903 service rifle, and was utilized through end of production of the M1903A3 rifle. There is also a cover to be utilized with the USMC sight system.

There are many repro/fake sight covers, so do exercise care before you purchase... some even exhibit laser engraved fraudulent markings, which actually aids in identifying it as a repro.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinholeshoot View Post
The sight hood most commonly available first appeared with the 1905 modification of the M1903 service rifle, and was utilized through end of production of the M1903A3 rifle. There is also a cover to be utilized with the USMC sight system.

There are many repro/fake sight covers, so do exercise care before you purchase... some even exhibit laser engraved fraudulent markings, which actually aids in identifying it as a repro.
The first you mentioned above is a sight protector. Utilized solely for transport and useless for normal use. The USMC version was a "hood" by definition used as you describe mostly on rifles used for paper punching.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:03 PM

Don't forget, the USMC large sight hood was meant to be used with the USMC front sight which was taller and thicker, Which was also meant to be used with the special USMC rear sight slide. Any one or two of the three without the others would be just wrong.