Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 11:23 AM

Default Spotting Scope Question

I'm looking at two spotting scopes for use in JCG matches out to 1-300 yards. They are:

Konus 20-60x80mm
Celestron 22-66x100mm

Anyone use either of these? How'd they work for you?

Thanks in advance.
Platoon Leader
Old 07-09-2014, 11:44 AM

Have the Konus. It's OK. Bout what you would expect for the price VS an $800 Kowa. Mine, especially when cranked up above 40X, doesn't focus nearly as crisply as I think it should. I think you lose contrast more than anything. Especially in low light / shadows.

For events such as Perry JCG it is perfectly fine. You can see the bullet holes in the targets easily since light shines through.

No opinion on the other.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Old 07-09-2014, 11:53 AM

The Konus are very nice and they have the rotating attachment ring which the Celestron doesn't have. You'll be disappointed with the Celestron because of the limited adjustability without the ring and the type of scope stand attachment you'll have to use because of that. I've heard the Redfield is even a better choice. The Redfield is going to be my next one.

Also, the Celestron, that big and heavy, is going to require a very heavy duty and expensive scope stand to support the weight and hold it still in the wind or it will tip over and you'll be chasing it all over to look through it, let alone if you bump it trying to look through it. No 5/8" rod, less expensive Freeland scope stands for either of those will do.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:01 PM

I have both. The Konus is perfectly fine for seeing scoring pegs/disks all the way to 600. Seeing bullet holes at 200-300 is a hit or miss affair, depends on conditions. I shoot at some local reduced matches where I want to see bullet holes, so I bought the Celestron. It's definitely better for seeing holes, but in heavy mirage it's still problematic. It's a monster and weighs a ton. It's not something I would take to Perry, that's for sure. I'll use the Konus for that.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:03 PM

Don't confuse magnification for resolution and light gathering ability. The more important number to look at is the diameter of the front element. A 100mm objective is going to let in more light than an 80mm, so generally speaking, your resolution at 20x is going to be better with the larger front element of 100mm. You'll lose resolution with either scope as you zoom in. Better to see a small crisp hole in a target at 100 yards than a closer view (zoomed in to 60x) that is not sharp and hard to see.

There's a reason that the more expensive scopes like the Kowa use a 27x non-zooming eyepiece. The resolution is better and they generally have a longer eye relief.

I have a Kowa 821 with a 27x eyepiece, which has an 82mm front element. I also have a Kowa 50 with a 20-40x eyepiece, which has a 50mm front element. At my local 100 yard range (which is dark) I can usually see most 223 holes in the black with the 821 and 27x eyepiece. However, it needs to be a very bright day with ideal conditions for me to see those same holes at 27x with the Kowa 50.

I know a lot of guys who use the Konus and like it. It's limitation is that the eyepiece is not interchangeable and the eye relief is poor. It is much less expensive than the Kowa and is optically nearly as good. I haven't looked at the Celestron, but if the price is about the same and all other things equal, I'd go with that one for the larger front element.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:53 PM

I have the Konus, it works well.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:30 PM

I have had the Konus scope for a few years now. Recently an internal lens in the eyepiece came loose. I figured I would call Konus US support and see if they would sell me a new eyepiece. They told me to send it in and they would send me a new one... no questions asked. Took about a week for the swap. The spotting scopes have a 2 year warranty I believe and I know I was well past that but like I said... they never asked. I'd buy another one without a second thought if I needed to.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:19 PM

I've also had a Konus 80 for a few years. Works fine, does the job, priced right. Are there better spotting scopes? Of course, but not for the money.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:05 PM

The rotating band on the scope body is a huge advantage. I have the konus. Purchased through jarheadtop. Its the only scope under 400 I found that had the rotating band and enough eye relief I do not have to lift my glasses. I used the celestron 100 spotting for someone. It was really no better in clearity or focus @ 200 yards. .... I had it in my head the konus for sub 300 or the kowa. I though 500$ in reloading supplies to shoot more was a better investment for now.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:14 PM

Default why buy cheap?

Sooner or later your going to want the quality that a Kowa is. Why not buy your last scope first? You can see fine at 600 with a Kowa. Quality costs so why waste your money on low quality when you will sometime end up with a Kowa.

Oh, when you go to sell that konus expect half or less in return. Sell a Kowa, probably get what you paid.

How do I know? Been there and done it.

Just my advise.

Tags
bullseye pistol, spotting scope