Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2011, 01:50 PM

The food was one of the top five reasons for moving to New Mexico. First I was into mostly green but lately it has been only red.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:54 PM

The wife is going to be away this weekend. My can of 192 rounds of 30-06 arrived so I will be taking the HRA to the range this weekend to try it out. Hoping to avoid the M-1 thumb. But I’m sure that is considered a badge of honor here.

Wrench
Old 05-02-2011, 05:23 PM

Default Finally had a nice day to shoot

I finally had a low wind day to go out and try out my Garand. First I am very impressed with the quality of my purchase from the CMP. The Garand is in excellent condition and it looks like the hand guard was from another more beat-up gun but the rest is nicely figured wood with a good finish.
I set up the target at about 50 Yards and gave it a whirl. My first time shooting a Garand and was surprised at how little it kicked. I had just zeroed the sights and was putting groups just above the bull. I was using Greek HPX I purchased with the rifle. Wow I canít wait to get out and do some serious target shooting with it. Thanks CMP

Wrench
Old 05-03-2011, 09:31 PM

Hunted Wild Turkeys near Cloudcroft in Dark Canyon and Russia Canyon near Sunspot. Can't describe the appeal and draw to this country. Jumped countless Elk and Mule Deer trying to find a Miriams or a Rio, but no luck. Learned to trust my instincts as to how a Wild Turkey would respond to my calling compared to the relatively flat land in KY. Call in the bottom and stay there! Trying to chase them with 200 ft gains in altitude every 100 yds is insanity. Absolutely love the country and the spectacular food. Just can't take the 100" of snow in the winter at 9,000 ft.
WMC
Old 05-09-2011, 05:11 PM

Iím familiar with that area but I live in the North West part of the state. What is nice about the south central is that if itís too cold on the mountain just come off of it. Visit White Sands.

Wrench
Old 05-09-2011, 06:56 PM

Default New in New Mexico

Welcome, read and ask.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:54 AM

NW New Mexico, sounds like the Farmington area, nice country.