Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2011, 05:20 PM

Default New in New Mexico, The Unknown State

Hello,
I live in New Mexico and work for a local school district. Originally from the east coast. I inherited a British Lee Enfield MKIII and Japanese Arisaka carbine type 38 (surrender as the mum is filed off), Recently purchase a 1936 Mosin Nagant for a very reasonable price. I hand load and shoot them all. I am looking to add a M1 Garand and later perhaps a M1 carbine. It looks like I have caught the collecting/shooting bug. I coach/shoot with the local MCJROTC team and am looking at purchasing a Grand from CMP. I just have too many questions, what grade/quality of gun do I need. I like to collect for future increases in value but also like to use what I collect. No dust collecting here on my guns. So which direction?

Thanks
PC
Old 01-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Darthnip

welcome aboard, tons of great folks with lots of great info here.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:32 PM

Wrench:

Your question comes up fairly regularly. You can probably find some background info (old posts) via the "search" function.

After that post your question on the Garand forum and I'm certain you'll get lots of interest. The one piece of advice I can give you is to do some soul searching and figure out what exactly draws you to a Garand in the first place. For example, if you are interested in a more collectible / historical rifle you'll probably gravitate towards a correct grade. If you enjoy tinkering and restoration work you may want a field grade. If you're just looking for one to take to the range you're talking about a service grade or one of the "specials".
Old 01-20-2011, 08:07 AM

Welcome to the Forums Wrenchhead!
My last Service Grade (Winchester) came with a WW2 receiver, new barrel and birch stock set. The internal parts are all very serviceable as well, I was very pleased with the overall quality of the rifle. It has some historical value as well as being ready for the range, right out of the box. HTH
Steve
Old 01-21-2011, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the information. I did do a search of the forum and gathered some good beta. I am placing my order as soon as I get all the required paperwork together for a HRA service grade. Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:42 PM

Excellent choice. I ordered one (an HRA service grade) myself just before Christmas. It should be here in a couple of weeks.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:23 AM

Smile Order sent

All required paper work gathered and order sent. Thanks everyone.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:04 AM

Default Received my Garand

I received my Garand Friday 3/4/11. So it took about a month from when I sent in my paperwork. I'm very pleased with HRA. It is in great condition. Just the stock shows the normal ware.
Thanks CMP

Wrench
Old 03-12-2011, 06:01 AM

What self respecting Chili Head doesn't know about New Mexico? RED or GREEN! Hatch IS the mecca. Welcome to the disease.
MXLMAX
Old 03-15-2011, 07:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by la fiere View Post
excellent choice. I ordered one (an hra service grade) myself just before christmas. It should be here in a couple of weeks.
hra service grade is the best choice ,newer/less wear than most springfields, just hope for gi wood/walnut/ and not the awful orange or chocolate brown birch