Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2011, 01:53 PM

Default New in NYC (No Garands Allowed -- Ho hum...)

Just ordered my first Garand and had it shipped to my mother in TX but can't legally bring it home with me to New York City because it's considered an "Assault Weapon" according to NYC law. Why? Because it of the Bayonet lug. How absurd is that? I guess there's a huge problem here with gang-bangers fixing bayonets and charging one another. I'd even be willing to pay the $240 license fee to legally own it.

If it were cheaper and easier to legally own guns here, the city could track and regulate them much more efficiently. In the meantime, people who want guns to do illegal things will continue to own them illegally.

I love my city but they sure have their heads up their rears here when it comes to gun laws. What does a guy have to do to get these laws changed?

Can't wait for my next trip to TX so I can try this baby out.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNYC View Post
...but can't legally bring it home with me to New York City because it's considered an "Assault Weapon" according to NYC law. Why? Because it of the Bayonet lug....
Grind the lug off!

Quote:
... In the meantime, people who want guns to do illegal things will continue to own them illegally....
Like the NYC mayor?

Sorry to hear about your woes. It's a sad day when the weapons that won the war and secured our freedom are made illegal by domestic dictators.
Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-06-2011, 03:41 PM

Welcome to the forum Eric, I hope one day someone down in the city will see how silly it is to say a rifle is more dangerous because you can put a bayonet on it. Here's to the day when you can bring your M1 home. Eddie
Old 05-06-2011, 04:56 PM

EricNYC;

Welcome to the Forum. I know only too well of your dilemma. Here in CA, a bayonet lug was, one of the characteristics the DOJ used to use to identify what they called an assault weapon. This law changes periodically, even LEO's here are having trouble understanding it.

My sympathies are with you.
GCA Member #5701
CMP Customer #110194
Regards.
Stan
Old 05-06-2011, 05:20 PM

hey Eric I live out on Long Island you can store your M1 with me and take it out here to shoot it anytime you like, Sal
Old 05-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Banned

Eric, the admin code in NYC classifies any rifle with a bayonet lug an "Assault Weapon". This was done under former mayor David Dinkins. Believe it or not Mayor Bloomberg is not at fault. Now for the good news. Under the admin code the Police Commissioner has the final word and PC Raymond Kelly, a former NYPD police officer and Vietnam Vet Marine gave a dispensation to the Garand. To be in compliance the lug must be removed however. Carbines are legal as long as you use the early barrel band and a 5 round mag. Contact Dino at Majestic Arms in Staten Island. He'll help you through it and you won't have to be a closet M1 owner. Stu
Old 05-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Banned

Here's another "Believe It Or Not"! Several months ago Mayor Bloomberg tried to lower the handgun permit fees in NYC as he realized that the astronomically high fees were a violation of the Second Amendment. It was the City Council that over-rode him and blocked his decision. Trust me, I realize the Mayor is no fan of firearms but I will give him credit where it's due.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:05 PM

Eric;

Looks like your home free. You could also pick up another gas cylinder, stash it away, then install it on your Garand when you move to a more gun friendlier area. Just a thought.

The best to you Sir.
GCA Member #5701
CMP Customer #110194
Regards.
Stan
Old 05-07-2011, 12:41 AM

This all sounds pretty great, actually. However, I feel like it would be more of a crime file off the bayonet lug than to smuggle the rifle into the city -- neither of which I'm willing to do yet. We'll see... maybe on my next visit to TX I'll realize that I can't live without it in NYC and decide I MUST bring it home with me (even though there are no ranges in the city that will allow me to fire it). Or maybe I'll keep writing letters to my congressman, senators, councilmen, and mayor and keep my fingers crossed that they'll see the light. Naive, yes.

Thanks so much for the feedback and moral support.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:31 AM

Thumbs up Keep it up;

"Or maybe I'll keep writing letters to my congressman, senators, councilmen, and mayor and keep my fingers crossed that they'll see the light. Naive, yes."

I feel your plight. Being from Ill-annoy we have a continuous struggle to stay ahead of and catch up to those who oppose all firearms and the people who use them legally. We know the laws don't effect those using illegally.

So, we keep up the struggle until we one day prevail because we
all can't cut and run. If I had an extra gas cylinder I would remove the lug and send it to you.

Welcome to the CMP forums.