Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2011, 11:03 AM

I just sent in renewal for my concealed carry permit, firearms-friendly state of Florida. It's a shame some states and "special cities", don't really honor the 2nd amendment, or a law abiding citizens right to protect self & family, and to essential practice/target ranges. I couldn't live in a state like that, too many other good ones. It's absurd that you can't keep your historical M1 in your home, in the USA. Moved to Florida from Chicago in the 70's. Never looked back.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNYC View Post
This all sounds pretty great, actually. However, I feel like it would be more of a crime file off the bayonet lug than to smuggle the rifle into the city -- neither of which I'm willing to do yet. We'll see... maybe on my next visit to TX I'll realize that I can't live without it in NYC and decide I MUST bring it home with me (even though there are no ranges in the city that will allow me to fire it). Or maybe I'll keep writing letters to my congressman, senators, councilmen, and mayor and keep my fingers crossed that they'll see the light. Naive, yes.

Thanks so much for the feedback and moral support.
Eric, don't take offense but this whole thread is beginning to sound like a troll. If not then I apologize.
Colonial Rifle And Pistol on Staten Island is a huge club with beautiful facilities. They are also a CMP affiliate. At least 1 sanctioned NRA match is shot there weekly, sometimes 2 or more so don't say there is no place to shoot in the city.

Just comply with the bayo lug, buy a couple of 5 round enblocs and you're golden. If you want a gas cylinder I'll send you one to be sacrificed, if it bothers you that much. I may have a spare Korean so you're not destroying a GI. Bring the rifle to Majestic Arms, Dino will lop off the bayo lug, provide you a letter stating so and you are LEGAL. There are only 2 high power outdoor ranges left in the city and you can use the Garand at either, unmolested. Long Island still has a couple of high power ranges too, and Ft. Dix in Jersey is nice. A letter writing campaign will only alert the antis to something they don't know. Swallow your pride, do it legal, and shoot your M1 to your hearts content. Stu

Last edited by Punch the Clown; 05-07-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:38 PM

Eric,
I am a member of colonial rifle pistol on staten island and yes you can shoot garands there they just have to loaded with a 5 round clip. The membership requirements are not that hard to do and the yearly fees are very reasonable. Ultimately it will end up costing you more to drive to LI or jersey than the fees for colonial. Now all this about having the bayo lug ground off goes out the window if you do not have a NYC rifle/shotgun permit as no matter what rifles or shotguns you have without that illegal permit they will be considered illegal.
Mack
Old 05-08-2011, 06:04 PM

Stu,
Bloomturd saw the writing on the wall after the Heller decision that the astronomical permit costs and time that you have to wait for them will be ruled as arbitrary and capricious as they are discriminatory towards those of a lower economic status. If that were to happen and NYC's permits were ruled to violate the 2nd amendment than the city would not be able to enforce its will on its subjects. IIRC there is a challenge on NYC's gun permits in court and that was the reason for Bloomturds political move to go to the city council and try to make it easier and less expensive for the common person to exercise our Constitutional rights. But thank god for the communists led by Christine Quinn who so wisely shot down Bloomturds proposal.
Mack
Old 05-08-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Shelleen View Post
Eric, don't take offense but this whole thread is beginning to sound like a troll. If not then I apologize.
Colonial Rifle And Pistol on Staten Island is a huge club with beautiful facilities. They are also a CMP affiliate. At least 1 sanctioned NRA match is shot there weekly, sometimes 2 or more so don't say there is no place to shoot in the city.
Stu. Wasn't actually sure what a troll was so I had to look it up. I assure you, that's not my intention. The last thing I want is "Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war." Those usually ******** me off to no end anyway.

This message board and the members herein have proven to be incredibly helpful and supportive, particularly your suggestion about Colonial Rifle and Pistol. That's great news. I hadn't thought to start calling ranges in Staten Island as I almost never make my way out there, being a denizen of Brooklyn. I'll definitely look into this.

As for the lug, I greatly appreciate your offer for the gas cylinder, but I still need to go through the lengthy process of getting a license (and actually receive my rifle in the mail). Thanks so much for the help everyone. One step at a time.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Banned

No problem Eric. Actually the permit process got streamlined and it shouldn't take you long at all to get one. Hey, hang in there. Maybe it'll get better-I hope!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:14 PM

I don't know if I'd have the heart to cut the bayonet lug off a USGI gas cylinder. Seems like butchery to me.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:05 PM

Default saf.org

I lived in New York and know what you’re dealing with and how frustrating it is. I moved to NM and don't have as many problems now. I still can't carry at work even though I have a CCW permit. Check out and join this organization www.saf.org also the NRA. Maybe in the future people in New York can have their second amendment right back.
Wrench
Old 05-09-2011, 06:59 PM

Default New in NYC

Welcome do as a lot of New Yorks , leave and come south!