Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2011, 02:56 PM

Default Hello from Alaska

Greetings from Kodiak, Alaska. I'm a newbie to the CMP, but not to shooting/hunting. My dad talked fondly about the M1 Garand he trained with when he first joined the Coast Guard in the 60's...and that's kind of where my interest in the rifle came from.

I finally had the opportunity to shoot one last summer, and I was hooked! With any luck, I'll have my act together and get one ordered from the CMP ASAP. Hopefully I'll be able to get one before they run out...

I'm looking forward to learning about and sharing information about these wonderful rifles.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:00 PM

Welcome!

I'm from Kodiak as well but I'm currently in Fairbanks for school. You should definitely get yourself an M1, it has to be one of the best things I have ever decided to do! They have service rifle matches out at Salonie Creek in the summertime, I believe they post the schedules on the KISA website.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:25 PM

Small world! I went to school at UAF. Good to see that there's locals on the forum. Do you know if the CMP will ship ammo to Kodiak?
Old 10-21-2011, 05:40 PM

Ha, it is small isn't it. I don't actually know if they do or not, I usually get mine in Anchorage when I pass through on my way too and from school. There was a post of somebody in Sitka that had to have it barged up, It would probably be the same for Kodiak too.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:21 PM

Hmm. I might have to get ammo shipped to Anchorage (it's my understanding the CMP will FedEx to Anchorage) and I'll just bring it back down to Kodiak with me the next time I'm out that way...
Old 10-21-2011, 08:09 PM

I come through Anchorage driving back and forth to college usually in December and May, maybe March too. If you want I could always pick them up and bring them down with me.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:36 PM

I may just have to take you up on your offer someday, if I don't make the trip myself. In other news, I got all the paperwork filled out and my order sent into the CMP. USPS indicates that my stuff made it over to the CMP yesterday. And now the long and anxious wait.

I placed an order for a Service Grade HRA Special, btw. Hope everything works out...
Old 10-25-2011, 03:59 PM

I don't think you will be disappointed with that selection, from the description it looks like you will be getting a nearly brand new rifle!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Banned

Welcome alaska. Hopefully u get one soon. One will lead to another and so on. Good luck, andenjoy. Ex navy out on adak
Old 10-26-2011, 08:22 AM

AKJ,
Welcome , I hope you get a great M1 to start you off on your soon- to- be obsession . Good luck, Eddie