Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2017, 07:02 PM

Default White Oak Armarment 1903 barrels

Has anyone purchase and used one of the 1903 barrels from White Oak Armament? I have been looking for a review on the barrel but can't find any. They look nice. More expensive than a Criterion.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:03 PM

Exterior finish looks amazing and I would consider one if I was creating a pre-war rust blued clone. If the machine work that really matters is of similar quality to the finish, then it should be the equal of anything out there. I've never heard a disparaging word about any other White Oak products.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:55 PM

The finish does look good. I have no doubt that John Hollinger is putting out a quality barrel. I am just wondering if the increase cost is worth it, as far as accuracy potential and barrel life. It is almost double the amount of a Criterion.
Both are button rifled.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:02 PM

Anything made by White Oak is going to be top notch
Old 11-30-2017, 07:09 PM

The performance of the 3 Criterion barrels I have used has been very good. I think would be hard to expect way better accuracy or life since they are rifled in the same way.

Machining the front sight base to original specifications can not be cheap. Criterion clearly refines (cost reduces) that process for their barrels. I've never really comprehended the value of the original integral '03 front sight spline other than being more robust.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:32 PM

All the reports I have on Savage rifle users who got the Criterion barrel rate them as very high quality.

While a rough barrel can shoot just fine (assume its quality work) the better ones are finished inside which avoids copper fouling as well as places for carbon to build up.

Personally I think that also indicates a better job at the rifling but that is an opinion.

I have not had a chance to boro scope one yet, but the reports seem to be on par finish wise with Shilen and LW that I do have.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Humphrey View Post
The performance of the 3 Criterion barrels I have used has been very good. I think would be hard to expect way better accuracy or life since they are rifled in the same way.

Machining the front sight base to original specifications can not be cheap. Criterion clearly refines (cost reduces) that process for their barrels. I've never really comprehended the value of the original integral '03 front sight spline other than being more robust.
the spline or key, is there to hold the front sight in place, and upright, and is definitely robust,

but then again, machining was cheap (relatively) back then