Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2013, 02:04 PM

Default Wear from magazine pouch snap

The magazine pouches I've seen that fit on the M1 Carbine stock have a snap that faces inward. Does this snap cause wear marks on the stock? I've read that it can. If so, what do people do about it? Do you just live with the wear, or do you put something on the snap so it won't damage the stock? If you put something on it, what do you put on it?

I bought some reproduction pouches to put on the stocks, but don't know if I want to risk the wear/damage to the stocks, or if I want to try removing the snaps. Since they're repro's, it won't cause any historical damage to remove the snaps, but I'd rather not if there's a better solution.

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2013, 04:13 PM

A piece of tape on the inside helps. I've seen a lot of originals with the snap cut out, to protect the stock.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:58 PM

Ditto. I have a reproduction pouch on my shooter, so I didn't mind cutting out the snap with a razor blade. With originals, or if you don't want to cut it out, as said above, some put tape on the snap.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:33 PM

I've seen pictures of carbines with the sling inside the mag. pouch...between the snap and the stock. I haven't tried it yet...but it might work.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:49 PM

Tape works but may leave a residue on the pouch. A piece of sticky backed felt works well. I do not recommend cutting out the snap on an original USGI pouch. It can start fraying of the cotton canvas around the cut area, if you someday wish to mount the pouch onto a pistol belt, you will no longer be able to mate it to the "female" snap on the belt, it will devalue your pouch and it just plain looks ugly.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:07 PM

Pouch wasn't made for, nor does it belong on the stock in the first place. GI's did not care if it scratched the stock. After the battle this part of the stock was probably the smoothest.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:22 PM

Back in the day when I was an FFL and sold LOTS of Carbines (1988-1998) I regularly saw stocks with marks from pouches. I recently had an Israeli import Underwood that had marks on the stock from the pouch, and a CMP Inland racker that did.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:26 PM

A 2" by 2" piece of duct tape solves the entire issue. But after a short amount of time you will take it off because it turns a light handy weapon into a stupid club just so you can look cool.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:01 PM

When I carried an M1 Carbine as an LEO trunk weapon, I had a Type I pouch with two 15s and a 30 rounder in the weapon. When I grabbed it from the trunk, I had 60 rounds with the weapon. I had a snatch and grab bag with 4 more 30s. For shooting at the range, though, the pouch cvan get in the way, I suppose, but I am used to it. I guess I am really partial to a stock pouch, because my dad had one on his Inland on Iwo Jima in 1945!
Old 12-15-2013, 11:16 PM

I just used a spare female snap removed from an 80's dated U.S. canteen cover. I also added a piece of moleskin over the female snap to prevent any possible dents from occurring. No sticky tape residue this way...