Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2013, 04:13 PM

I never heard of the 10rnd magazine until they started passing all these magazine limit laws.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:22 PM

Default After watching that Marine on Tarawa

go dry just as a squad of Japanese decides to dee dee out of the AO, I'd say that the belt pouch wasn't all that great either. I can't imagine using an automatic weapon without a hold open feature especially since it was such an easy fix. How many guys died over that fault? My guess is that 90% or better had stock pouches just to have a known source of 30 rds when things started to run out. SLA Marshall's books on Korea usually say that the GI with a carbine had only about 4 mags load when they saddled up for a patrol. Anyone familiar with night firing knows that would be gone pretty quickly.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:15 PM

There never was a ten round magazine in the US inventory, no such animal. Removing 15 rd. magazines from the pouch mounted on the stock is not hard to do, may even be easier at times than reaching around the belt when in the prone position. Again there are thousands of photo's showing just this type usage of the pouch.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:52 PM

Also remember that with use and exposure to elements, the Type I pouch tends to stretch. The one I had back in the day on my LEO trunk weapon, magazines would slide out if turned upside down and flap open. Also from a prone, it is much easier to reload from a stock pouch than a belt pouch. I know because I have done both....
Old 12-19-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imarangemaster
Also remember that with use and exposure to elements, the Type I pouch tends to stretch.
Until you wash it. If you think getting the sling around the oiler in the stock is tough, try slipping a "clean" stock pouch on!!!

Old 12-21-2013, 09:16 AM

My own solution to the snap was Velcro. I cut a large square of fuzzy side Velcro (with peel off back) and put it over the snap.
My '43 pouch is on my Inland all the time.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:11 AM

Well, since my pouches are repros, I just drilled out the snap.

I held the inside part of the snap with a pair of pliers, and used a cordless drill with a 3/16" bit to separate the outside part from the inside. It was very easy, since the snap appears to copper or brass -- just drilled enough to get through the outer metal without going into the fabric; the inside part just pulled out easily afterward. This left a 1/8" hole in the fabric, which I may stitch around to keep from fraying if it looks like that might happen.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
When I carried a carbine as a LEO trunk weapon for all those years, it was usually a mix-master in a potbelly stock. I really didn't care about the snap marking up the stock. I have used it will the stock pouch for so many years, it feels funny to me without it!

Here's a Standard Products that I most recently used as a patrol Carbine:

STOP!!! You're going to give the media more reasons to label the M1 Carbine as a 'assault rifle'!!!! (this is sarcasm btw, I think it's kind of cool that you're using a carbine as a 'trunk gun'. If I was LEO and my department allowed it I would probably try to do it too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB View Post
I crossed two extra sticky cloth band-aids on the snap to protect the stock.
That's what I do, a band-aid over it and I have never had a problem with marks on the stock.

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!
Old 04-27-2018, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the info in this old thread! I have a related question, if storing a M1 Carbine in a safe, is there any other issues with leaving a pouch on the gun long term? Any issues with keeping a pair of magazines in there long term as well?

My M1 Carbine is a 1944 Winchester but my stock is well used and hardly safe queen so I was thinking of buying a repro or original pouch to store a pair of Winchester USGI mags with the gun.

I just don't want to mess up the stock or have the mags rust in the pouch. My safe does have a goldenrod and if I was raining I would not put the mags back in the pouch until it was dried but I've seen rusty mags that were stored in pouches so I tried to search the archives to make sure I don't mess up the mags or worse my stock.