Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 06:07 PM

You cant replace something that was your dads and your son would love to have it one day,I wish I had something of my grandfathers.That being said you could do what ping said in the 4th post.Carbines are very simple guns and I am sure that you could free the piston and replace the ejector ,and the springs are not a problem .As for the chamber you are just wanting a shooter just clean it up and enjoy it. If you cant find someone close to you and you dont mind the drive I live in birmingham (200 miles not far from the south store )and would be happy to help as I am sure others who are closer to you would just ask most are good people also a fellow member on the forums does repark for 120.00 but it isnt really necessary just to shoot it chet

Last edited by tank mech; 10-10-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:39 PM

Default Repark it yourself

Save $$$ and call brownells. They sell it and you only need a gallon.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Ring View Post
If Dean will buy it for $400.00 you will actually save $450.00.
$50.00 for return shipping and sending it to another.
There were over 6 million USGI carbines made and this Blue Sky import was not the one your father carried anyway, so I'd take the best deal you can get from Dean and invest it in one you'd like to have.

By the way, Dean has done work for me and my experiance has been absolutely positive.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:17 PM

If I were you I would just keep the Saginaw as is and troubleshoot the issues a bit more. I personally believe these high dollar rebuilds are a waste of money and usually look pretty cheesey anyway. You will add $800 to a $500 gun to make it worth about $550. Use your money to pick up a good carbine that shoots, they are fairly easy to obtain.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Banned

Take the $400 and look for a nicer Carbine. Your Dad did not carry this Carbine in WWII. Good Luck................
Old 10-10-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad2001 View Post
So it wouldn't even be worth $800 (today) if I HAD to sell it in a pinch? Remember I have nothing into it.
Just a regular Saginaw? I know I wouldn't drop $800.00 on it, especially with it being import marked (but then again, I wouldn't pay 8 bills for a non-import marked one, unless there was some provenance that it was all original.

You might find a buyer who would pay that much, but IF you're in a pinch, you're likely not going to wait until that specific buyer comes along. I've seen an Inland listed on GunBroker for a year or so listed at $2,700.00. It's still for sale.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:19 AM

I don't know anything about this guy, but $800.00 is a LOT of money. You can buy a very nice US GI carbine for that amount, just look around. I would keep the gun. If the carbine is as bad as he says it is, why does he want to give you $400.00 for it? Perhaps there are scarce I-P or S'G' parts in it. Assuming that the receiver and the barrel are ok, except for the import marks, there isn't anything that can't be replaced I'm sure for a lot less than $800.00. Yes, I am aware of what some sellers are asking for parts, but properly priced parts are out there, just do some looking.

Last edited by 136th TFS; 10-11-2011 at 12:31 AM. Reason: added missing word
Old 10-11-2011, 08:52 AM

Have Shuff rebarrel and parkerize it. Trust me, it won't be $800. Less than 1/2 of that. Then buy a replacement Carbine stock on Dupage.

http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/m1-carbine/
Old 10-11-2011, 09:07 AM

My Dad had a barn shotgun, I fixed it once in college and 15 years later he died. He still kept it in the barn for critters and such. In fact he bragged to me about shooting a racoon with one shot with it two weeks before he died. The shotgun was a single shot 410, it will never be worth more than 100 bucks if even that but it will be fixed up again and handed down. Your Dad's gun is priceless unless he had so many you have to choose from.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:24 AM

Preciate all the comments so far guys. Looks like better than 2:1 that I should ditch it, shelf it or not invest in the DGR restoration of this rifle.

Haven't made up my mind yet. It was, after-all, my dad's (still alive) and I do want it to fire again. A really fancy restoration could be a cool surprise to show him. I have have had several people PM me offering to help with it's reconstruction or general service. I wish I went this route a long time ago when I first started posting about it a couple years ago. Now that I think about it I do have plenty of $$$ into it already. Between three previous "smiths",my time+frustration, springs and mags I already have spent the value of the rifle (or more) on failed service.

Pfff - at this point I may as well just take the plunge and just do a full "pretty" restoration with a warranty and give it to my kid one day. Will it ever be a $5,000 collectors piece 30 years from now? Certainly Not. I do have an email into Tim Shuff to see what he says.

BTW - There is an "SG" stamped on the left side of the Saginaw receiver near the barrel. It serial numbered 3.3 million

Last edited by kmad2001; 10-11-2011 at 11:36 AM.