Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2018, 05:47 PM

Default Question on scope mount removal

I have a M1A I just purchased. It has what I believe is scope mounting block instead of the clip guide. I want to remove the block and install a clip guide. In what direction do I drift off the block. I see a small hole that angles down into the dove tail , could this be a pin?
Any advice would be appreciated. Eddie
Old 03-16-2018, 07:14 PM

I think this is an exception to the insert from the right like an M1 Carbine rear sight rule. Should be drifted out to the left, after removing the roll pin. My reference on this page 139 of "The M14 Complete Assembly Guide" by Kuleck and McKee.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:21 PM

Eddie, There indeed is a pin that is holding that scope attachment mount to the clip guide. Make sure that you use the correct size punch to drive the pin out, if you do not, you can cause yourself a whole lot of hurt. You take the action out of the stock, remove the bolt, and drive the pin out.

There are a lot of tutorials on Facebook and over at the M14 Forum (look for videos by member Tonyben) that can help you see what you have to do. You can also Google, M1A Clip guide removal, you should be able to find what you need there.

Last edited by GM1MAN; 03-16-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:36 PM

The block and clip guide are tapered and should be drifted out from right to left. Drive out from the op rod side toward the bolt lock.
The lock pin should be driven out from inside the receiver toward the top using the correct size pin punch.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 03-16-2018, 07:42 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I'll let you know how it turns out. Eddie
Old 03-17-2018, 06:14 PM

After some initial problems I got the pin out and the mount off. At first the pin wouldn't budge and I bent the punch. Then after giving the block a few taps I discovered that the threaded collar in the block was impinging on the roll pin . Once I drifted out the collar the pin came right out and I was able to drift off the mount. Thanks again to all who responded. You made the job easier. Eddie
Old 03-18-2018, 03:40 AM
Banned

Remove the scope mount base and put blue locktite under the base and on drop on the mounting screws. Snug up but don't over tighten. Wipe up the excess locktite around the bases.

Don't forget to shake the bottle of locktite well before you use it.

A heat gun can be used to melt the blue locktite if you ever have to pull off the scope. Use heat very sparingly.