Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2018, 02:44 PM

For the edification of those who are not familiar with Gun Works of Lower Alabama's receivers, GWLA produced a limited number of exceptionally high quality hammer forged semi-auto, M14 receivers. They are as close to mil spec as possible using modern CNC machining practices and feature a beautiful Nitrate finish. While in production the company offered custom markings and serial numbers in addition to their standard receiver markings. Unfortunately production ended when they found that such limited production along with custom options cold not be done at a profitable level. The company closed the doors in early 2017 and the remaining inventory has been turned over to Shooters Den in Jacksonville, OR.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to milprileb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Brown View Post
GWLA M14 receivers are available. Check the PX on the TFL.
Ted,

I don't understand why this prototype receiver is of such interest...is it for historic reasons or what ? The M14 has a unmatched history of performance in battle and rifle matches, I can't think of why anyone would want a prototype even if superbly made.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2018, 09:38 AM

Some think they will be of collectable value some day, much like the Edsel.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to milprileb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
Some think they will be of collectable value some day, much like the Edsel.
Thank you Sir. I am a shooter so that aspect was off my radar.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:50 AM

Many think the M14 was the finest battle rifle ever developed. It has never failed to do exactly what it was asked to do. That said, there is always a market for high quality parts like GunWorks receivers. The owner of the company simply wanted to produce the best M14 receiver available. GunWorks did an excellent job, but found profits were to small to continue when only one item was being produced for a limited market. Unlike the Edsel, the GWLA M14 receiver is among the best of it's type available.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Many think the M14 was the finest battle rifle ever developed. It has never failed to do exactly what it was asked to do. That said, there is always a market for high quality parts like GunWorks receivers. The owner of the company simply wanted to produce the best M14 receiver available. GunWorks did an excellent job, but found profits were to small to continue when only one item was being produced for a limited market. Unlike the Edsel, the GWLA M14 receiver is among the best of it's type available.
Yeah Ted, I think a few people are a bit confused in general, as it pertains to which receivers on the market today are like Edsels, and which are like Maserati's.

For others that don't understand, there was only one "prototype" receiver produced at GLA, and it was aluminum. It was a proof of concept and verification of the model and tool paths, after the first 3D plastic prototype was done by Solid Box in Texas, and was checked by Charlie and myself.

I made a special trip down there to fit all the parts on this receiver to check quality control and look for any fitment issues with all G.I. parts. Surprisingly enough, Charlie was such a great machinist that I didn't find any problems with it. A few minor changes were made later when the first heat treat lot test came back though. These early test receivers were marked MSC before the serial numbers for Military Sealift Command.

I still have all the data on them in my hand written notes, like locking lug locations, barrel ring specs, serial numbers, leg dimensions before and after heat treat, mag well specs, etc. Charlie personally measured every one of them while I recorded it all and told him which readings I needed. He was like a proud Papa that day, all smiles when I gave him the thumbs up. I miss that ornery old goat. I need to give him a call and see how it's going in his new world of AR's.

I doubt you have any of those MSC ones Ted. They were really something to behold. Special in every way, I guess because we put so many years of hard work into making them a reality.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:02 AM

The comparison to the Edsel was actually a compliment to the possible value for collectors eventually. The Edsel lasted almost 2 years, the GWLA not so much.
As with the Edsel, it was a lack of effective market research that led to it's rapid demise.
There were just too many well established producers of quality M14 type receivers. LRB, SAI, Fulton and Bula, for a similar product to effectively enter the competition.

Semper Fi
Art

Last edited by nf1e; 04-04-2018 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
The comparison to the Edsel was actually a compliment to the possible value for collectors eventually. The Edsel lasted almost 2 years, the GWLA not so much.
As with the Edsel, it was a lack of effective market research that led to it's rapid demise.
There were just too many well established producers of quality M14 type receivers. LRB, SAI, Fulton and Bula, for a similar product to effectively enter the competition.

Semper Fi
Art
It has been said before and has some merit. The M14 market is a limited one. There are not a lot of dedicated enthusiast for the platform. A nice rifle is going to cost one some cash and I'm not talking about your basic SAI M1A. Your basic shooter can get into the AR game for less than 5 bills these days and the ammo is cheap. JMHO....
Old 04-04-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
It has been said before and has some merit. The M14 market is a limited one. There are not a lot of dedicated enthusiast for the platform. A nice rifle is going to cost one some cash and I'm not talking about your basic SAI M1A. Your basic shooter can get into the AR game for less than 5 bills these days and the ammo is cheap. JMHO....
Totally agree. Entry level new rifle in the M14 area will run about 3 times the entry level AR. Start stepping up the game and it is easy to spend in excess of 6K with accuracy improvements and decent optics.
The quality of barrels and other component parts have a much greater effect on the accuracy and dependability of the rifle than the foundation receiver used.
There just aren't enough of us dinosaurs left to make it a lucrative market place for newcomer mfgs.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 04-05-2018, 09:05 PM

Smile Lessons on NM type rifles.

Quote:

I really enjoyed visiting your site, quite interesting work that it takes to make a target rifle from a good standard model..Now I understand differences in them and the nm factory rifles from springfield..Guess I will chase down more Estate sales with firearms, and hope to get "Lucky''. OG.