Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2018, 06:31 AM

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Deuceguy;1674860]Just build it on your own! Unlike some others, you can own the bragging rights and can claim to be the best builder too. As far as Iím concerned, Iím the best builder of MY rifles.[/QUO

That's brilliant. In that case. I am the greatest M1 builder of all times. Lol.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:59 AM

[QUOTE=10thmountain;1675107]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuceguy View Post
Just build it on your own! Unlike some others, you can own the bragging rights and can claim to be the best builder too. As far as Iím concerned, Iím the best builder of MY rifles.[/QUO

That's brilliant. In that case. I am the greatest M1 builder of all times.
Lol.
Me too. Best builder of my rifles. I kinda like that moniker.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 01-18-2018, 11:55 AM

If the rifle went together and functioned to your standards and shot well, then you are the best builders. You can own the title like a boss.

I would never buy old match rifle. Why spend a lot of money on potentially worn out parts and eroding epoxy bedding only to have to spend more money on parts? Then pay more money to have someone else build it? Wish I had that kind of money to burn!

Cal50 is dead on... buy or build something and go shoot it

Last edited by Deuceguy; 01-18-2018 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Add
Old 01-18-2018, 02:41 PM

Well Ive seen several Older SAInc Super Match rifles in nice shape.... so to the info above..If the TE/ME is low...the bore is good, the trigger Assy works fine, op rod Mic ok what is there to worry about...Replacing old epoxy is not that difficult. If you have the tooling and a little mech skill yes build it yourself...for 200.00 to 275.00 having a barrel installed and bolt HS just isn that much in my world, hand fit the rest.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:15 PM

i think you need to sit down and decide what you want out of the rifle and what you want to spend. A gent at my glub went all out hog wild for a bucket list M1a not only one that can shoot but is sexy.
He went with the way of LRB for most of it. LRB receiver with the scope rail and rear lug cant remeber if he used a Kriger heavy or a lija, douglas ?
went with a full custom M25 from LRB with custom wood stock. I know he picked out the wood blank him self from a place in utah he went with Bastogne Walnut. I have only seen pictures of the blank and it was very nice tiger stripped with lots of definition and grain. I have not seen the completed rifle yet but he was shooting the rifle in a mcmillian stock last fall and shooting lights out with it. the stock was suposed to be finished and fitted by now. IIRC he paid $1500 just for the blank. all said and done he says he will be about $7800 into the rifle plus travel time/expense going to see all involved. He goes south in the winter and i wont see him until late spring.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:25 PM

As long as your friend is happy with his rifle that is what counts.
Very easy to hit that amount or more if one is looking to make something special for himself.
Next to impossible to recoup even half that for a custom rifle.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGW006 View Post
My goal for an M1A would be top shelf all the way through the rifle: accuracy, trigger, fit, aesthetics, . . . everything about the rifle that makes is a joy to just look at, a pleasure to shoot, and friends envious that its beauty is surpassed by its accuracy.

I'm sure I can just by a Springfield Super Match, but will that meet all my criteria (including AAA furniture)? Or do I get a base model Springfield M1A and send it to one of the top builders to work their magic on it?

I'm not shooting in the sandbox (unless I catch a cat in it!), so I don't need "sandbox" level durability, but I still want that as well.

Ideas / references to builders? I don't mind spending for top quality.

JGW
If you want AAA furniture, you are going to have to pick it out yourself. For a completed rifle, that means searching the ads on auction sites and forums for pictures of the actual rifle being sold, not "file" photos.

You also need to decide what size rifle you want. An M14 style Standard, the medium weight National Match or the heavy weight "Super Match" version.

Accuracy levels tend to be <2 moa, <1.5 moa and <1 moa, accordingly. Actual performance depends on the ammunition and the shooter.

SAI offers the most choices and they all have lifetime warranties. LRB usually has rifles in stock, ready to ship. You can't go wrong with either.

If you go the custom route, let the builder choose his own parts. A master chef does his best cooking when he picks out the ingredients. (You can still pick out the stock ). The important thing is to go over your expectations in advance, preferably in writing. Make sure there is some sort of warranty, guarantee or return policy.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:40 AM
Banned

My standard weight 16.25" barrel shoots Portuguese NATO surplus in tight sub MOA groups, how much better would the accuracy be from a Supermatch?
Old 01-19-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O MAN View Post
My standard weight 16.25" barrel shoots Portuguese NATO surplus in tight sub MOA groups, how much better would the accuracy be from a Supermatch?
Consistency is the important part. Match rifles must be able to hold 10 shots in the group, for several consecutive groups. 3 or 5 don't mean much.

A Super Match is also designed to shoot MOA at 800 yds with match grade ammuntion. A 16.5 inch barrel and surplus ammo won't do that. You need a longer barrel to get the proper velocity with 168's or 175's. Longer barrels create more whip. That's where the heavy barrel and draw pressure come into play.

Last edited by KurtC; 01-19-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:06 AM

The super match (with heavier barrel and stock) adds needed weight which helps for off hand shooting and likley has a faster twist rate for heavier bullets.
1/2 MOA sights you appreciate at longer range.....