X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Smalser
    • Apr 2013

Unertl on an AR

Never saw a Unertl on an AR so I thought I'd try it on my adult son's match rifle build. Fabricated the mounts from Picatinny Rail 11mm adapters and 3/8" scope blocks. Used it as a class to our Junior Small-borers on scope mounting and setup. Here's a 17-year-old banging a 12" steel plate offhand at 200yds ten for ten.

• TW56
    • May 2010

You Unertl build looks great Bob.
    Feedback thread;
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....highlight=TW56

Comment

• mac1911
      • Oct 2009

Nice.....cool and different. I am going to mount my old Lyman 75 target sights on my AR that gets little use and use it in 200yd off hand local fun match.

Comment

• musketjon
        Banned
        • Oct 2009

Your mounts are too far apart. The Unertl and Lyman scopes of that style were designed for mounts on 7 1/4'' centers, otherwise the adjustments won't give the correct adjustments per click.
        Jon

Comment

• RedSpecial
          • Jan 2013

Maybe a dumb question, I haven't seen mounts like that before... But how do you adjust the elevation and windage?
          - Neil

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!

Comment

• lapriester
            • Oct 2009

I guess one would have to wonder why, when so many better optics choices would be more appropriate. That, and one of the mounts being that far forward on a free float hand guard is ripe for all kinds of accuracy inconsistencies. Even with appropriate optics the one thing you never do is place a scope mount on a free float HG. Perhaps not so many problems in off hand but all kinds of problems are possible in prone or other supported positions. FF HG's always have some flex and that flex will transmit directly to the front scope mount. Far more so with the mount that far forward.

It looks cool, done well, and I'm sure the talk of the matches but not very practical for precision or match shooting.

Comment

• Bob Smalser
              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by musketjon View Post
              Your mounts are too far apart. The Unertl and Lyman scopes of that style were designed for mounts on 7 1/4'' centers, otherwise the adjustments won't give the correct adjustments per click.
              Jon
              Simple. The further apart the mounts, the finer the adjustment. There is absolutely no advantage to pure 1/4-minute clicks, when Anschutz and other sights are progressing to 1/12-minute clicks to center groups on that .4-inch 10-ring on the 50M International target.

Center to center 7.2" will give you 1/4 minute per click adjustments with an original Unertl scope and mounts.

5.4" 1/3 minute
              7.2" 1/4 minute
              9.0" 1/5 Minute
              10.8" 1/6 minute
              12.6" 1/7 minute
              14.4" 1/8 minute
              Last edited by Bob Smalser; 01-24-2015, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• Bob Smalser
                • Apr 2013

Originally posted by lapriester View Post
                I guess one would have to wonder why, when so many better optics choices would be more appropriate. That, and one of the mounts being that far forward on a free float hand guard is ripe for all kinds of accuracy inconsistencies. Even with appropriate optics the one thing you never do is place a scope mount on a free float HG. Perhaps not so many problems in off hand but all kinds of problems are possible in prone or other supported positions. FF HG's always have some flex and that flex will transmit directly to the front scope mount. Far more so with the mount that far forward.

It looks cool, done well, and I'm sure the talk of the matches but not very practical for precision or match shooting.
                Point taken. This was a training aid for a class. We'll see in practice, but most Unertl mounts span the barrel and forward receiver ring, and I tend to doubt that this thick aluminum Midwest handguard will flex sufficiently under sling pressure to make one iota of difference. Perhaps with a small-bore at 1150fps in followthrough, but unlikely with a 5.56 at 3200fps.

Regarding optics, there are no shortage of vintage Kahles, Zeiss, S&B's and Unertls that compare nicely side by side with the most expensive modern scopes. Better? Maybe not. But every bit as good.

Repeatability? Try squaring a box sometime with a Unertl versus the modern, internally-adjusted scope of your choice. I strongly recommend leaving your wallet in your pocket.
                Last edited by Bob Smalser; 01-24-2015, 10:27 PM.

Comment

• Bob Smalser
                  • Apr 2013

Originally posted by RedSpecial View Post
                  Maybe a dumb question, I haven't seen mounts like that before... But how do you adjust the elevation and windage?
                  The old-school scopes were pure telescopes with a rear mount that featured micrometer clicks on the rear mount ala a high-end aperture rear sight. This one is confusing in appearance because it is a "dehorned" mount without the obvious turrets. But the adjustment knobs are there, none the less, they are just not obvious. Here's a turreted Unertl on an Annie 1407 as an illustration:

Last edited by Bob Smalser; 01-24-2015, 11:05 PM.

Comment

• musketjon
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2009

Here're my old school scopes on my US Springfield M1922M1 (Unertl 10X) and my 52A (Lyman Super Target Spot 25X)
                    Jon

Comment

• slickshot223
                      • Dec 2009

Well done

Bob --think your efforts are quit neat--thanks for sharing you talent results!!
                      WELL DONE!!

Comment

• RogerFiler
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by lapriester View Post
                        I guess one would have to wonder why....
                        Like the man said: Never saw a Unertl on an AR so I thought I'd try it.
                        -
                        "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." Aristotle
                        -
                        Google advanced search: http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
                        In "site or domain" put: forums.thecmp.org
                        -

Comment

• RedSpecial
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Bob Smalser View Post
                          The old-school scopes were pure telescopes with a rear mount that featured micrometer clicks on the rear mount ala a high-end aperture rear sight. This one is confusing in appearance because it is a "dehorned" mount without the obvious turrets. But the adjustment knobs are there, none the less, they are just not obvious. Here's a turreted Unertl on an Annie 1407 as an illustration:

Guess I've never seen a dehorned one... What's the point?
                          - Neil

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!

Comment

• Bob Smalser
                            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by RedSpecial View Post
                            Guess I've never seen a dehorned one... What's the point?
                            Hunting rifles. Rubbing on brush changing the turret settings.

Comment

• lapriester
                              • Oct 2009

No AR free float HG is a stable location for a front scope mount. I have Midwest on 3 of my AR's and they will flex with nothing but the bipod under them. Sling up tight and it will flex more than you think. Even the mounting system on Midwest HG's in insecure enough where I would not rely on them for mouting a precision optic mount on. It's a LocTited friction fit clamped on the barrel nut by two screws torqued to 35 in/lbs. They are only on my uppers because they came on them when I bought them. I will admit though, of all the FF HG's I have on AR's they are the heaviest. That's just another reason I dislike them and wouldn't use one on a personal build.

You did a great job on the setup and it definately has a coolness factor. Never seen such a thing done before. I don't question the quality of the optic at all. Their rep speaks for itself. There are just so many more applicable choices for an AR where the mounts are placed in the most appropriate location.....the receiver rail. HG rails are meant for back up sights and rail mounted tactacool crap that doesn't relate to pinpoint accuracy.

Comment

Working...
                              X