Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2018, 12:36 PM

Default M1 to M2 operating slide conversion

I recently acquired an M1A1 carbine from a friend who got it several decades ago. It appears to have been a first contract gun based on, for example, the serial number, the stock (it was originally a high wood stock), and the pistol grip (its marked on the bottom). Of course, it does have several later modifications since it went through rebuild at the Augusta Arsenal.

When taking the gun apart I noticed that the right side of the operating slide was milled to convert it to M2 configuration. The job looks totally professional; however, the milled area is in the white. Would existing M1 slides have been converted to M2 slides (perhaps as an expediency), and, if so, would they have been left in the white? Also, who would have done the conversion - Springfield Armory, Inland, Winchester, a subcontractor??

I checked Canfields's book on the M1 Garand and M1 carbine, as well as the War Baby books, but didn't see anything on the subject (of course, I may have missed it.)

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:09 PM

Default Stock Insides Milled For M2 Selector? ...

Has your rare folder been milled inside so the M2 Selector Switch could be installed? Is there any wear in that area where a M2 Selector Switch would rub? That might be a hint that the gun and stock were together for a long time.

Possibly a AA rebuild like you already spotted? It is possible the M1 Slide was milled to M2 specifications by AA but never spot refinished? An interesting collectible. All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

The last sentence is the usual legal declaration regarding NFA stuff.

Last edited by HB of CJ; 01-23-2018 at 01:10 PM. Reason: edit
Old 01-23-2018, 02:29 PM

All the M2 conversion slides I have seen in the white were a Bubba Jobs.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:31 PM

Nothing in the receiver has been touched (milled, etc.). Also, the slide shows no wear where it would have hit a disconnector. So, I guess the folks at Augusta Arsenal reached into a bin, pulled out the slide, and installed it.

It just struck me a funny that the slide would not have been reparkarized after having been milled.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:42 PM

6 Ring,

That's what I was wondering, on the other hand this gun has been untouched for several decades. But, as I have said it does seem funny that the slide was not reparkerized. I've included a photo.

I sent an email to Bruce Canfield concerning this slide, but didn't receive a reply.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:33 PM

i've got one just like it, i always figured it was somebody's post sample toy at one point

Old 01-23-2018, 04:34 PM

Hard to believe that Ordnance..... Who was such a stickler over front sight posts being touched up after filing when sighted in, would allow or look past a Op slide being converted and no finish being applied afterward. So unless some how done in the field.......
I'd also have to lean toward Bubba's handy work.
You have to admit Carbines and head scratching go hand in hand.

Charlie-Painter777
Old 01-23-2018, 06:26 PM

You failed to mention any markings in the well. Any?
Old 01-23-2018, 07:10 PM

The well of the slide is marked: N over 15.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:37 PM

I just heard from Bruce Canfield and he was not aware of any slides being converted in this manner and that it is likely "home made." It looks like I'll be ordering an original M1 slide tomorrow.