Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2018, 03:42 PM

Default Highwood cutdown requirement???

If a carbine went to a major arsenal like RIA as a highwood and the wood was sound, was it allowed to leave the arsenal as a highwood or was there a requirement to make it low wood?
Old 01-28-2018, 04:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

I have seen RIA stamped stocks that were left in highwood configuration.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:48 PM

To my knowledge (heh heh but at least you get your money's worth), there was no modification work order wrt stock modifications during rebuild, i.e. no such requirement. Same with the M2 cut. If needed, do it and if not just forget about it and move on to the next.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:42 PM

Sorry guys I just had to look it up. Per TM 9-1276, 1953
Para 62.e page 130
"Stock Modification. Carbine M1 Stocks of stock assemblies C57157 of earlier manufacture were made with a thin section on the right side where the operating slide bar passes to the right side of the receiver. This thin strip should be removed in order to prevent cracks from starting in this area. The stock should be cut down as shown in figure 104."

Now you cannot convince me that EVERY soldier did every mundane requirement in a depot level check for thousands of carbines. I am sure more than one or two made it thru. I have a stock with a depot rebuild mark and its still got its highwood.

Just my two cents...
Old 01-29-2018, 02:40 PM

Great post & very interesting; really enjoy it when folks go back to the source.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

A lot more than one or two went through arsenals without being cut to low wood. I seen many with rebuild marks that weren't cut down. These were from multiple arsenals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired Retired View Post
Sorry guys I just had to look it up. Per TM 9-1276, 1953
Para 62.e page 130
"Stock Modification. Carbine M1 Stocks of stock assemblies C57157 of earlier manufacture were made with a thin section on the right side where the operating slide bar passes to the right side of the receiver. This thin strip should be removed in order to prevent cracks from starting in this area. The stock should be cut down as shown in figure 104."

Now you cannot convince me that EVERY soldier did every mundane requirement in a depot level check for thousands of carbines. I am sure more than one or two made it thru. I have a stock with a depot rebuild mark and its still got its highwood.

Just my two cents...
Old 01-30-2018, 08:19 PM

My NPM has an I cut inland stock that went through an Underwood rebuild, it has been cut down.

Some steps skipped? Heck yes, look at all of those brand new W and Inlands with type 2-3 sights but left with type 2 bands and push safeties..