Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
I am on the Distinguished Rifle List but can't find a list for all holders of P100 tabs?

Is there one?
No master list. CMP has each year online going back to 2002. Other than that, none exist online that I know of.
Old 12-26-2020, 11:08 AM

Well I went out and started looking for mine and I found one with 1986 on the back and can't find the other one. IIRC I was 12th for the first one and 99th for the second one and I think 86 was when I got 99th.

Now I gotta find the other one.

Also found my five Palma Twenty Tabs and my Distinguished Rifle medal.

My distinguished rifle certificate was signed by Lt Col Joe Smith. It was the last one he signed. I knew he was retiring and when I legged out I immediately sent Joe a letter and told him that as his last official act with DCM I wanted him to sign my certificate.

I got the certificate with a note from Joe that said that was his next to last official act as his last one was going to take all his leave and he was walking out the door in a few minutes.

I was told he dropped by Perry one time after he retired but I missed seeing him. I don't even know where he retired to.
Distinguished Smallbore Prone & Highpower Rifle # 514, Presidents 100, Member US Palma Teams & US Dewar Teams. Palma Twenty, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland. Conducted small arms testing for US Army TECOM, Army Materials Systems Analysis Activity and the US Marine Corps.
Commandant USMC Commendation for "Exceptional Performance" on M16A1E1 Rifle Testing (adopted as M16A2) Army Commendation Dover Devil Cal 50 Machinegun Program.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:46 AM

Wallace H Davis was the Captain of the Illinois Civilian Team in the 1940 National Matches, the high civilian team in the Herrick Trophy Team Match w/a score of 781, also listed as a medal winner in the 200 yard M1 match. 1940 was the first year for M1 specific matches at Perry: a 200 yard offhand surprise rapid fire at 200 yds, 300 yard sitting or kneeling from standing rapid fire (1 minute 5 second time) and a 600 yard prone team match.
From the November 1940 American Rifleman.

Mike
Old 01-14-2021, 07:28 PM

I found a picture I think of your great grandfather in a 1939 American Rifleman about Camp Perry Nationals.

I will try to post a picture if I can get it figured out.

Here you go.
https://postimg.cc/gallery/KzSn19F

After skimming through a few pages I see that Wallace H Davis won the 1939 civilian member’s trophy match with a score of 98. Total of 968 entries.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:35 PM

Default Hap Rocketto

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0608 View Post
My Great-Grandfather (Wallace H Davis) was a member of the Illinois Civilian Rifle Team for a number of years in the late 1930s. I've inherited a wonderful collection of medals he won (to include a President's Hundred tab for 1938) and I'm trying to learn more about them. Does anyone here know who I could contact trying to research medals and information from that era?

Thanks for any help or leads.
Hap Rocketto is the only historian I know of in the shooting sports arena.

He has a web site, you can contact him from there. Good luck.

http://pronematch.com/

That website has some of Hap's articles archived. Worth a look for anyone interested in formal marksmanship.
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)
Old 01-28-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-30:06 View Post
Here you go.
https://postimg.cc/gallery/KzSn19F

After skimming through a few pages I see that Wallace H Davis won the 1939 civilian member’s trophy match with a score of 98. Total of 968 entries.

Hope that helps.
Thanks everyone for digging into this.

I actually started this thread about five years ago, and in the mean time, I've learned quite a bit about the man. It turns out he was a very accomplished rifleman. I have a large box full of pictures, medals, results, and correspondence from him from the early 30s through the 50s.

He was on the three Port Clinton Trophy winning teams, won the Civilian Club Members Trophy, had top five finishes in the Navy Cup and the Farr Trophy and made the President's Hundred. Somehow, he never became a Distinguished Rifleman (unless the official registry is just missing him.) He's even mentioned in John B George's Shots Fired in Anger

On top of that, he coached my great-grandmother in smallbore shooting, and she set a World Record in smallbore in 1941 (400-37x in a 100 yard, 40 shot, iron sight regional match in Chicago.)

Here's one of my favorite pictures of him and his team. Standing in the back row, second from the right, the tough guy in the campaign hat.