Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > My Gun DB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2015, 05:12 PM

Default What happened? Entries changing themselves!

I got mgdb installed on my home computer and got my iphone app info synched to the computer.

Once that was done I started working with the desk top to enter things like date sold, name of purchaser, place purchased, purchase price and that type of info starting with my oldest firearms.

After awhile I noticed that several of my entries had changed themselves. Specifically my Smith Corona M1903A3 Springfield kept changing to a Smith Corona Sporter Match H-Bar (taking the modle of a Colt I once owned) and a Smith Corona Hi-Power Practical (taking the model of a Browning I once owned). Also .30-'06 would change to 9mm or 5.56mm depending on which firearm the entry was trying to morph into.

This wasn't the only entry doing this, it is just the entry that I was fighting when I gave up.

I tried deleting the program and reinstalling it but it wouldn't delete all its info and once reinstalled it would recall all my entries. Of coure is recalled them all jumbled as decribled with the M1903A3 entry. I tried fixing the jumbled entries after the unistall/reinstall a couple of time only to have the problem repeat.

After an hour or so of that I grabbed my wife's lap top and installed mgdb.

This time I did not synch my app or do anything with drop box. I decided that I would start from scratch not knowing if the synch was the problem.

I entered my first firearm and once I entered the information into the Purchased/Sold it deleted the name, country, SN, type, caliber, condition, storage and finish from the General tab. For some reason it kept the Model but nothing else. This happened a few times before I gave up and shut the computer off. It seemed to happen to me when I exited after completing Sold to tab in the sale/dispostion section.

This fight lasted most of my Sunday, although there were breaks while I hunted for info on a few of my firearms (Still can't find any info on an IBM carbine I owned in the 90's) and I had MASH running in the backround which frequently distracted me.

So the point of this longwinded story is I want to know two things.

1.) Has anyone else has had this or a similar problem, if so did you/how did you fix it?
2.) I have a C&R FFL and need to get a log book or program that I can count on to keep the AFT happy. Any ideas to replace this if I can't get it to function? I've only bought 1 firearm with my FFL and I have no plans to sell/trade it or give it away so I'm not overly worried yet I'd like not to have to worry at all.

At least I have not bought the license yet so at this point I've only lost the cost of the i-phone app and a Sunday's worth of relaxation.

I know the developer has been/is busy with family health issues so I will complain to him about this later.

GuapoPogi
Old 04-14-2015, 05:09 AM

I know this is not the fix you are looking for, and this only touches on one thing that you mentioned, but why not just have a paper log, especially if your not doing many transactions? That is what I do, and I have started to use this program for general logging with pictures and such as well as where things are located. Sorry to hear your having so much trouble. Are you using a PC or a MAC?
Old 04-14-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwcritch View Post
I know this is not the fix you are looking for, and this only touches on one thing that you mentioned, but why not just have a paper log, especially if your not doing many transactions? That is what I do, and I have started to use this program for general logging with pictures and such as well as where things are located. Sorry to hear your having so much trouble. Are you using a PC or a MAC?
I am using a PC. I currently only own 10 firearms but I owned 45 that I bought and sold between 1984 and 2003. I also had 1 more that was bought and sold in 2013. I figured I should keep the info on all 56 in 1 database. Most of the info is in a paper file except for 4 from the 80's and 90's that I am missing the info on. I don't plan to sell any more of what I have but I expect my collection will slowly grow and paper is going the way of the Dodo bird.

GuapoPogi
Old 04-14-2015, 08:53 AM

Pen and paper sufficient for 75 guns or less. In my opinion.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:53 PM

My motto with computers is if you cant live without the data dont hard drive it. Put it on a thumb drive, external drive etc.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:04 PM

Still sorry to hear all that. As for using a PC, I think that is the main source of problems for programs like this. Hopefully the developer will be able to help you out.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwcritch View Post
Still sorry to hear all that. As for using a PC, I think that is the main source of problems for programs like this. Hopefully the developer will be able to help you out.
I sent him a PM with my post copy/pasted in it because I was feeling lazy. If I don't get a reply from that, I will contact him through the MGDB web site in a couple of days.

GuapoPogi

Last edited by GuapoPogi; 04-14-2015 at 07:11 PM.