Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles > Mann Accuracy Device
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 02:40 AM

Default LOST : MANNs, Men and Barrel Companies

LOST : MANNs, Men and Barrel Companies
I was up in Prescott Valley today visiting a gunsmith with a friend. He showed us two massive gun barrels he had purchased some time back for $25 each and he had determined both were chambered for 308 Winchester. Only one of the barrels had any marking on. It was stamped "H-S PRECISION" along with some other information. I took some pictures, made some measurements but I need to go back and take more of them.
The two barrels had the same length, were made of the same blued or parked steel. Both had the familiar MANN steps in barrel diameters but neither had a receiver. The threaded end of the barrels was different, one with a fine "V" thread and the other with a ACME thread a little coarser than the "V" thread. The chambers were also different. The mouth of one chamber was recessed for the extractor while the other was flat. Neither had a taper or feed ramp to the chamber leaving the sides of the cartridge fully supported.
-
-
Anyway, my friend and his gunsmith friend are both Arizona natives from Prescott and they began reminicing about how those barrels
had to have been made by Thomas Houghton's H&S Precision company. The company had moved away from Prescott many years
ago. I immediately recognized both of the barrels to be MANN Accuracy Device barrels. Prescott is also the home of Ruger and some
research on the web quickly revealed that at one time, there were many companies in Prescott engaged in making fine guns and gun
barrels. Ruger is the only one left. Along with Bill Rugers and Thomas Houghton other names quickly came to the surface : Bill Atkinson &
Ken Johnson. All knew each other and learned their craft from each other.
-
I have two MANN barrels with receivers purchased from the CMP. Both barrels are marked "WALKER". In Steven Rutledge's report to
Orest Michaels, he recognized some manufacturers names on the barrels he studied but did not recognize the name "WALKER".
I have so far had no success in locating this company and have come to believe the barrels were made by Remington. They most likely
were marked "WALKER" to honor Remington's long time foreman Merle "Mike Walker" who is now 100. Mike is known as the father of all
of Remington's bench rest rifles. I will write to Remington to see if this is true.
-
The art of making gun barrels is learned and taught and most of those who engage in this industry know each other.
I would like this thread to become a clearing house for the unknown MANNs.
If you find one post it here with some pictures and all the information you can gather on it. Eventually it can be identified.

Last edited by VMFn542bob; 08-16-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: updated photo collage
Old 08-03-2012, 02:25 PM

Default List of MANN Barrel Manufacturers - known and unknown

List of MANN Barrel Manufacturers - known and unknown
-
This thread begins a list of MANN barrels that have been found with markings indicating the likely manufacturer. Some manufacturers have been identified and others have yet to be idendified. As time passes many more barrels will make their appearance in this list as more people become more aware of what they actually are and what they look like.
-
MANN Barrel Manufacturers ID mark and Manufacturer's name and location.
These barrels may or may not have been distributed by the CMP.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MANN Accuracy Device with Barrel Manufacturing marks found to date
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Douglas
Douglas Barrels Incorporated (Precision barrels for over 50 years)
Currently located in Charleston, West Virginiia
see reference to this manufacturer in the following link.
http://www.odcmp.org/1001/mann_inc.asp
-
H-S Precision, INC, formerly of Prescott, AZ. (a.k.a. H&S Precision, INC)
About 1978, owner Thomas Houghton relocated the company Rapid City, South Dakota
See photos at post #1 of this thread.
-
HEC - unidentified - see photos in post #1 of this thread :
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=65418
-
KART - Kart Sporting Arms, formerly of Riverhead, NY.
Owner Fred Kart relocated the company, now Kart Precision Barrel Corp, to Shallotte, North Carolina.
see link : http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=81967
-
Remington - see company history at the link below
In 1985 Remington turned over the operation of the Lake City Arsenal in Independence, MO to Olin Corporation. Remington had operated this facility for the U.S. government for more than 45 years. Current location of Remington's barrel manufacturing not determined.
http://www.remington.com/Pages/Our-C...y-History.aspx
-
WALKER (a.k.a. WLKR)- unidentified
The two MANN barrels shown in Post #8 at the following link are WALKER Barrels.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=6338
see reference to this manufacturer in the following link.
http://www.odcmp.org/1001/mann_inc.asp

Last edited by VMFn542bob; 08-06-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:58 PM

Not the best pics, but I don't remember seeing any manufacturer's marks on my MANN barrel. If there were, I surely would have taken a picture of it. Here's what I have:

-Rich
Old 12-07-2015, 07:25 AM

Interesting bit of history there. I tried a number of times to win one on the auction but never did.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:18 PM

I feel your pain Don, I screwed big time by not getting one of the '03 Mann's when they where there for the ordering for $500. I did manage to get a Rem 5.56 Mann from the auction site.

Suckers are a heck of a lot of fun to play with.