Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2017, 09:28 PM

Default New User from Missouri

Hello everyone,

My Grandfather helped purchased me a field-grade M1 Garand in 2012- I got to pick it off the rack myself. Now that I'm older, I have assumed stewardship of the rifle. It is a Springfield Armory rifle with what I was told is a Winchester stock by the CMP employees. I enjoy shooting the rifle very much and so do all my friends. I am pleased with the performance of the rifle. It is a fantastic shooter and has had very few malfunctions. Mostly I have failures to feed properly when I load 8 rounds in the clip- have yet to have issues when only loading 7.

I am curious as to what ammunition I should be firing when my stock of surplus that was provided with the rifle has been expended. I understand that commercial .30-06 rounds are hard on the vintage internals of the M1?

I have a very thin frame and have found that shooting the M1 can be hard on my shoulder. Is there a product for the M1 that I can affix to the stock to lessen the beating my rifle gives me?

Thank you,
Michael
Old 07-07-2017, 10:14 PM

Welcome to the Forums!

When buying commercial .30-'06 ammunition, I look for 150 grain rounds, preferably marked as manufactured for the "M1 Garand", "US Rifle, Cal. 30 M1" or similar. New ammunition which performs well for me for general use include PPU/Prvi Partisan and Sellier & Bellot.

HXP can still be purchased from the CMP...while supplies last! However, you'll need to make sure your range will allow it to be used there. (Some won't allow ammunition which attracts a magnet, which most HXP ammo will do.)

You might try something like a padded shooting jacket to help your shoulder, especially if you're at an outdoor range. I've also seen shirts with shooting pads in the shoulder area, but haven't tried using any of them myself.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:26 AM

Welcome from Illinois. Many experts here that will help you out.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:05 AM

Default Fellow Missourian

Welcome, as far as ammo, as previously stated Privi or S&B commercial M1 Garand is excellent. http://sgammo.com or Midway
Old 07-10-2017, 08:05 AM

Welcome aboard.

To protect my shoulder, I use a slip-on Allen recoil pad. $7.00 from Amazon. The medium size fits my M1, M1903A3, and M1917. I take it off and wipe down the stock with Orange-Glo when I'm finished shooting to protect the finish and I don't store the rife with the pad on it.

They also carry a recoil pad that you can use to replace the metal butt plate, but I haven't tried that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GTMichael View Post
I have a very thin frame and have found that shooting the M1 can be hard on my shoulder. Is there a product for the M1 that I can affix to the stock to lessen the beating my rifle gives me?
Old 07-11-2017, 09:18 PM

Thank you for the welcomes and suggestions. It is appreciated.

If I was to post pictures of my rifle, would someone on here be able to visually identify if it indeed has a Winchester stock?