Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2017, 07:36 PM

Default Recommended m1a tools

Hey everyone i jus picked up my first m1a custom national match not at a total stranger to the m1 style action. I have my garand that I shoot in cmp and highpower matches and m1 carbine.
I have all the gas cylinder tools and what not to help with cleaning and maintence for my garand but obviously they dont work for the m14 style rifle.
I see sadlak makes great products for the m14 I plan on picking up their grooved piston to help reduce wear.
I was also looking at the gas cylinder wrench, and gi cleaning kit mostly for the chamber brush and and combo tool. and keeping the the rods in the buttstock only for emergency use.
is there anything else you would recommend or is consindered a must have.
What about the bolt roller greaser tool?
Thanks everyone
Old 07-31-2017, 08:20 PM

IMHO, I have no trouble greasing the bolt roller with a swab or similar. My understanding, which is always subject to correction, is that the Sadlak grooved piston is recommended for Match Grade ammo and is not necessary for normal loads. If you are only going to shoot Match ammo, then that may be the way to go.

I use either a 3/8 inch box wrench or M14 Combination tool for the gas plug. I must be fortunate, all my M1-A's shoot just fine as they came out of the box. Butt stock cleaning kits can be had, which contain the combo tool, on many web sites for around $30.00.

For more info, don't be afraid to join the M14forums.com, there are a lot of really smart folks over there as well.

HTH.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:26 PM

thanks for all the info I shot mine this weekend and shot amazing using my 175 gr loads. thats why i wanted the grooved piston. Ive read some people love the piston even with nato surplus. I just like the idea of the kit in the butt stock for for just incase not for regular cleaning. The gas plug came loose during shooting this weekend and I dont have wrenches in my range box so I could only get it finger tight.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:47 PM

My tools: M14 combo tool for the gas plug and bolt teardown, 2 flat head screw drivers with masking tape on the heads to tight the rear sight drums, standard Allen wrench set for the front sight on the M1 and the M1A.

If your stock is glass bedded: philips head screw driver to fit in the trigger guard to pry it open because it's going to be tight. A thick wood dowel rod and runner mallot. Put the dowel rod through the top of the receiver to the mag latch and tap the mag latch gently to drop the trigger group. Flip the rifle over and put the dowel rod through the bottom of the receiver to to clip guide and tap the dowel rod to separate the receiver from the stock.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:33 PM

Talking

I use a spent .45 case trimmed down as my bolt bearing greaser, I suppose one could go and get real fancy and spend the extra coin and use a spent NM .45 case as there bolt greaser.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:14 PM

Get a one piece cleaning rod like the 25 inch Dewey, either SS or coated (I prefer the SS). Order the Parker Hale style Jag to go with it. It comes with a patch loop which is only good for wetting the bore. Never use a GI jointed steel rod or aluminum rods, both of which can damage the bore.