Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2017, 05:26 PM

Default Springfield Armory Scout Squad Reliable?

I just read through the thread asking about the expected accuracy of the 18" inch barreled M14/M1A's at 800 yards. Glad that this thread was started as I just recently, like this week, have looked into the Springfield Armory Scout Squad rifle. Looking for opinions from current or past owners of these rifles. I know others make or have made 18" inch barreled M14 clones but I am interested in Springfield Armory's Scout Squad. Anything you can relate about these rifles would be great, handling, accuracy, dependability, recoil, muzzle blast etc...

Oh no I see I spelled scout wrong in the heading. How do you go about editing the thread title box?

Last edited by mrrm; 08-18-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:57 PM

I have had an SAI Scout model in the walnut stock for a while now and could not be happier. The only changes I made were to take off the forward barrel mounted scope base and to replace the original hand guard with a walnut hand guard from Treeline.com..

It really shoots much better than I can with both iron and scope sights. I have a Bassett Low Picatinny mount with a 2X7 Vortex scope on it. The rifle handles really well for me in this configuration.

It seems to like all the ammunition that I have fed it, with no FTF or FTE. Some of the ammo is more accurate in this rifle than others.

List of what I have fired in this rifle:

HXP, ZQI, LC, Hirtenberger, PPU, Federal Match and M1A branded ammo. It likes the PMC 150 grain PSP, which if I was going to hunt with this rifle, I would use.

I wish I had gotten this rifle first, because I like it better than the SAI Standard Model.

HTH.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:22 PM

Yes your response helps. I've never owned or for that matter even shot a "scout" rifle where the optics are mounted forward of the receiver. Hate to admit it but the old eyeballs are getting a little tired so having the option of adding some sort of optics so readily is an attractive option of a "scout" type rifle. I have always preferred iron sights but realize at some point it would be nice to have a choice of sights.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:16 PM

The Scout was my first M14 type rifle, and I firmly believe the 18" barrel is the best non-standard length barrel.
I prefer mine with a railed hand guard that positions an Aimpoint low enough to allow co-witnessing of the iron sights.

Last edited by H2O MAN; 09-24-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:33 AM

I had one good accuracy, bad on reliability, jam o matic, bolt came apart one time extractor and such, then it jumped track one time when firing it, averaged 3 malfunctions per mag.

Last edited by crackedwindshield; 09-24-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:00 AM
Banned

Mine shot 1-1.5 MOA from the start using match type hand loads with either the Sierra 168gr BTHP or the Hornady AMAX.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:15 AM

I'll add that my 1999 Scout was a basket case right out of the box, it took 4 warranty repairs and a visit to Smith Enterprise to get it right. It was my very first M14 type rifle, and quite a learning experience.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:22 AM

It does Leave a taste in your mouth when you pay that kind of money, just saying.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:03 AM

I have it's little brother, a SOCOM 16....never had a hiccup as far as reliability, and have put hundreds of rounds through it. the sights suck though. I tried to get some better irons through SEI....dude was backordered on the stuff I wanted, and his customer service left much to be desired.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:38 PM

Those SEI sights for the 16.25" barrel are worth the wait.