Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2015, 05:54 AM

Default New James River complete rifles with reweld receivers

Well, I know the reweld receivers were much discussed in another thread, but I wanted to put a fresh perspective on the subject after my gunshow experience yesterday. One of James Rivers distributors was there, and he had two complete M14 rifles with the reweld receivers, one TRW, one H&R. And I have to be honest, I was fairly impressed. The receiver was, in my opinion, nicely done. You really had to look to see where the weld was finished. The machining for the op rod groove was very nice, and the action was as smooth as you could possibly expect. They were tested in a press after the welding ( he told me how much pressure, but I honestly can't remember what it was, just that it was a lot), and the welding held up, It finally bent in between the bolt rails. They are made entirely from GI parts, with the exception of the new receiver half and a brand new, hardened bolt. The stock looked like one of James Rivers new stocks with the correct stampings, but the vendor said they were cleaned up GI stocks, so who am I to argue. The metal finish was overall a dark parkerizing, which wasnt bad, but I wish it was more grey. It comes with one checkmate mag, a sling, and m14 manual. Gun show price was $2600, regularly $2750. At first it seems a little high, but after you think about what your getting, and how few they are going to put out, it's really worth it in the long run. If they function and shoot as nice as they're rockola m14f models, then they should be great rifles with a little bit of history in them. Again, this is just my experience from the weekend, I'm not trying to start any wars, just letting everyone know what I came across yesterday.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:02 AM

Interesting, I did not realize they were offering them to distributors already. IMO I would not be willing to pay 4-500 bucks more for a welded receiver clone. Their regular Rock-ola is only $2195 according to the website. To each his own I guess...
Old 04-19-2015, 08:59 AM

What does ATF consider them? If the heel marking is used for the ID isnt it a MG?
Old 04-19-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclaine View Post
What does ATF consider them? If the heel marking is used for the ID isnt it a MG?
Nope. Once de-milled they are considered scrap metal by ser#. From my understanding James River got the good to go from ATF. If that was not the case, I don't think they would last very long at the big shows. Super idea for those wanting a replica that more closely resembles the original.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 04-24-2015, 06:17 PM

I remember not to distant ago that welded receivers were frowned upon due to the weld, that was on this site and the M14 forum site. It was believed that rewelds are weaker and high probability of not holding up.

Wonder why the change of heart and mind.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:59 PM

jra is the boutique company of the year. if they did it its awsome
Old 04-24-2015, 08:07 PM

I bought the standard JRA M-14f and it is made way better than my old M1a Divine NM and Loaded which I got rid of when I got the JRA M-14F. The JRA is as close as you can get to a real M14.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseHunter View Post
I remember not to distant ago that welded receivers were frowned upon due to the weld, that was on this site and the M14 forum site. It was believed that rewelds are weaker and high probability of not holding up.

Depends on where and how they where welded... and please don't call these "rewelds". They are only welded once. No redo or rework here...

And for some pictures

Old 04-25-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankybear View Post
Depends on where and how they where welded... and please don't call these "rewelds". They are only welded once. No redo or rework here...

And for some pictures

Thanks for the photos. One could not find better windage and elevation serations anywhere. Beautiful receiver.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseHunter View Post

Probably better to ask those that function in the self-reinforcing vacuum known as the M14 forum. Not sure you'll encounter the same enthusiasm for such a thing here.

Welded, re-welded, adjoined...any is an appropriate adjective. I'm sure there are a few more out there, both G and R rated.