Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2015, 10:02 AM

What the ATF says is OK today they can arbitrarily change tomorrow. I think this idea is pretty cool but risky.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 05-15-2015, 06:32 PM

1st they were never welded to be re_welded which isn't even a word. 2nd a guy went to jail 10 or so years ago or so and he had ATF aproval also. Rick B.https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.h...6&f=6&t=393763

Last edited by Rick B; 05-15-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:39 PM

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.h...6&f=6&t=171317
Old 05-15-2015, 07:51 PM

Rick B, the links you posted show some guy without ATF appoval who went to jail. Got any links where ATF-approved items were a problem?

Seems like JRA has an ATF approval, but I suppose that could be reversed given the proper political motivation.....
Jh
Old 05-20-2015, 06:44 PM

Did anyone get a copy of the letter they said they would ship with each receiver?
Old 05-21-2015, 08:14 AM

In the early days of M14 ownership, when M14/M1A receivers could not be found, there was a company making them from demilled/cut receivers. They had ATF approval, and made a few.
Nobody seems to worry about the ATF and them.

From another website.

"Hahn had an ATF approval letter to reweld the scrap receiver sections AFTER he neutered them.

This letter of approval signed by then BATF Chief, Firearms Technology Branch, Edward M. Owen, Jr. was sent to Hahn in June of 1994. The letter was addressed to Mr. Lloyd Hahn of the Hahn Machine Company in St. Charles, Missouri. It was the BATF response to Mr. Hahn's May 11, 1994 submission of a modified USGI TRW M14 receiver for a BATF ruling on the assembly of a semi-automatic only USGI M14 receiver.

The approval letter granted permission to manufacture semi-automatic only M14 receivers from "properly destroyed" USGI M14 receivers. The destruction procedure first required a specific torch cut procedure on the receiver followed by removal of the selector lug and weld fill in of the operating rod rail cuts. After these steps were completed, the pieces of receiver scrap could be welded into one piece. The letter also required Hahn Machine Company to permanently engrave the company name, city and state on the receiver."
Old 05-21-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
What the ATF says is OK today they can arbitrarily change tomorrow. I think this idea is pretty cool but risky.
That's right canes, anyone that doesn't believe that, need look no further than our good friend and inventor of the Akins Accelerator, or the previous rules of demilling Brens as compared to the new rules for Bren guns.

It's all so ridiculous and arbitrary. Anything that is arbitrary and done to you by government, is a violation of your due process under the law. Remember that when they come to take your receivers away later, after you spent a cool grand on it.

All it will take to change their minds and the decision, is for some jackwagon to turn his rifle into full auto and get caught with it. The only thing stopping anyone from doing this, is the wider op rod shelf as most call it, on all the other makers except JRA's.

I'm sitting around waiting for the ATF to get wise to that fact and force JRA to widen theirs.....oops...... get your originals now while you still can.

Disclaimer:
The post above in no way suggest, condones, or advises that anyone should ignore ridiculous and arbitrary political laws and rules, which have no proof whatsoever that they apply to anyone, and attempt to turn their commercial semi-auto rifle into a select fire rifle.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14 View Post
Not so. Not now anyway. The company I was working with has finished theirs,... well I finished them for them.

They are exact copies of g.i without the three characteristics of the select fire originals.

See above Art. The new ones I did are exactly like the G.I. ones in the elevation serrations. The first company to ever get it right commercially.

I also invented and gave the company my design for half minute windage ears that allows anyone to use standard sights with a hooded aperture and have NM sight capable rifle, without spending $250-350 for NM sights. It consist of simply cutting two sets of four notches on the ear.

While I do not wish to help this new company with sales, because they lied to me and kicked me to the curb when they had everything they needed from me to finish the receivers, the fact remains that people will have to quit saying that all these other manufactures are as close as you can get to g.i.

It is simply not true any longer. The same as I pointed out about LRB and their statements on their website use to read, it has been removed finally, thanks Lou ! Look at JRA receiver elevation serrations, not even close to g.i. or the original blueprints. Mine are exact to the prints.

I know because the first six receivers produced were select fire and modeled from an H&R original receiver. All the rest were commercial and the only thing changed is the select fire features. Now it can be truly said that they are the closest to u.s.g.i.,.... as can be bought today.
I don't understand. The serations on these heel receivers are actually part of the usgi heels (they are welded on about an inch forward of the ears).
Old 05-29-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokiWartooth View Post
I don't understand. The serations on these heel receivers are actually part of the usgi heels (they are welded on about an inch forward of the ears).
I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to stir the coals.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:23 PM