Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > NM Collector CMP Edition Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2016, 09:18 PM

Default Having trouble exporting database

Working on transferring my database from My Gun DB, but I need to first get the NM Collector database into an excel file, but it will not export. I keep getting the message "Export Failed. Do you have the export file open in some other program?" I believe I have everything closed, so not sure why I would get this message. Also I am using a Macbook Pro, so I am not sure if this has anything to do with the problem. Thanks' for the help.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:03 AM

I don't have an immediate answer for you so I will have to research it this weekend. Thanks for your patience.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmCollector View Post
I don't have an immediate answer for you so I will have to research it this weekend. Thanks for your patience.

Not a problem I know sometimes having a Mac brings strange issues. I am currently out of town for a couple days, but if it makes it any easier we can talk via email or phone. Thanks for the response.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:30 PM

Thumbs up Exporting your collection on a Mac

Well I had to drag my old MacBook out of the safe to figure this one out. I must admit that I normally use Windows but I am actually posting this from my Mac. As it turns out you are experiencing a bug with Java on Macs that at one time I could not resolve but have not revisited it lately. Anyway, the bug is that the interface acts like it wants you to select a file but what you should really select is a folder. The program then writes the file name based on the collection that you choose to export.

The title bar of the export window tells you to select a folder not a file but it really does not pop out at you so you really don't see it. Perhaps I should display an irritating pop-up that you can't miss! To make matters worse, if you create a new folder you will not be able to select it unless you leave it first and then come back to it.

So, my apologies to you and other Mac users for this work around but this is what you need to do.
  1. If you do not already have a directory that you want to export to, in the export "save as" window create a new directory where you want the exported file and associated pictures folders to go.
  2. It will take you to that new directory but you will have to leave it and then reselect it.
  3. Once you reselect the directory you want to export your data to the Save button will be enabled.
  4. Click the save button to export your data to the selected directory.

Please let me know if this is not clear. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Well I had to drag my old MacBook out of the safe to figure this one out. I must admit that I normally use Windows but I am actually posting this from my Mac. As it turns out you are experiencing a bug with Java on Macs that at one time I could not resolve but have not revisited it lately. Anyway, the bug is that the interface acts like it wants you to select a file but what you should really select is a folder. The program then writes the file name based on the collection that you choose to export.

The title bar of the export window tells you to select a folder not a file but it really does not pop out at you so you really don't see it. Perhaps I should display an irritating pop-up that you can't miss! To make matters worse, if you create a new folder you will not be able to select it unless you leave it first and then come back to it.

So, my apologies to you and other Mac users for this work around but this is what you need to do.
  1. If you do not already have a directory that you want to export to, in the export "save as" window create a new directory where you want the exported file and associated pictures folders to go.
  2. It will take you to that new directory but you will have to leave it and then reselect it.
  3. Once you reselect the directory you want to export your data to the Save button will be enabled.
  4. Click the save button to export your data to the selected directory.

Please let me know if this is not clear. Thanks.
BINGO!!!

I created a new folder on my desktop and then selected it when I exported the file and it worked. Now that I have jumped that hurdle, I will continue to press forward. Thanks a bunch for the quick reply!
Old 05-14-2016, 08:27 AM

Thank you for giving it a try

Old 05-14-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Thank you for giving it a try

No problem. Is there any way to select more than one image at a time when adding pictures? If not, I understand, I am purchasing this program either way!
Old 05-14-2016, 01:03 PM

Talking Only one pciture at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwcritch View Post
No problem. Is there any way to select more than one image at a time when adding pictures? If not, I understand, I am purchasing this program either way!
Yes! Just drag them from your file system and drop them into the pictures tab image location for the item that you want to add the pictures to.

Thanks for your purchase!

Clay

Last edited by nmCollector; 05-14-2016 at 01:06 PM.