Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > NM Collector CMP Edition Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2016, 01:11 PM

Default Loss of data

I have had a couple of issues. When I am adding a large number of pictures the software will lockup and then pictures are gone. I have since compressed the photos and that does seem to help. Secondly I have had an issue that when I open the software my folder for my guns will not open. Fortunately, I was able to restore from the backup and it did work, but this has happened several times. Anything to help with this instability?

Steve
Old 08-13-2016, 09:32 AM

I'm sorry you are encountering these issues with the software. I am very happy that you had backups to recover from!

I do not know why the folder will not open. I suppose the only way I might be able to figure that out is if you copy your entire program and database (pictures and all) to a USB flash drive and ship it to me for analysis. Short of that I can only speculate that it must be related to your database.

I can tell you one thing for sure, if you have to force close (using any means other than allowing it to shut itself down) NM Collector Software it will result in a corrupted database and most-likely data loss. I do not know if that is what happened in your case but it is a possibility. Perhaps even your backed-up database was corrupted before you backed it up.

If your database is corrupted, you might consider installing a whole new instance of NM Collector Software with the default database in an entirely new folder and then migrate your existing data to it as follows:

1. Export your current data using the "File > Export > to JE CSV" menu item in the current program.
2. Inspect the contents of the exported CSV file to see if you can find anything that is obviously wrong. Correct any issues that you find. You can use MS Excel for this.
3. Copy all of the exported files to your new installation location.
4. Import your current data into the new program location using the "File > Import > from JE CSV" menu item in the new program.

You will have to reapply your activation in the new instance of NM Collector. If you no longer have your activation I will be happy to send it to you.

I do have a few general suggestions as well. If you have a lot of data that is frequently changing, you should occasionally re-index the database to keep it running optimally. You can do this with the "File > Re-Index Database" menu item.

Also, if you have a very large collection, you might consider breaking it up into smaller collections (separate instances of NM Collector Software). This will not give you integrated reporting across collections but it will make access to each collection must faster and probably more stable.

Since you have a lot of pictures, it will be more efficient NOT to store the actual pictures in the database. You should consider using the option to save the pictures in the File System which can be accessed through the "Options > Pictures > Save In File System" menu item. It will step you through the process of migrating your pictures that are currently in the database into the file system and then store paths to future pictures in the database not the pictures themselves. You have to remember not to delete your pictures from the file system when using this option because all that is stored in the database are paths to the pictures. I would suggest keeping the pictures that you are using in a sub directory of NM Collector Software for ease of use and transfer.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask more questions.

Thanks,

Last edited by nmCollector; 08-13-2016 at 09:35 AM.