Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > 3-Position Air Rifle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2016, 05:51 PM

Default Cmp 853

I want to purchase an air rifle for metallic silhouette offhand practice and have been thinking about one of the refurbished CMP rifles, but have a few questions.
1) I'm 6' tall and medium frame, will the rifle be fit with the spacers installed or are they designed for junior (smaller) shooters.?
2) What type of accuracy can I expect? Although I'll be using it for offhand practice, I still need accuracy. PS I've rarely met a rifle that isn't more accurate than I am .
3) Is there any way to add weight?
Any other suggestions/comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Dr.J
Old 11-07-2016, 09:28 PM

1;With spacers installed (two screws) stock fit an adult fine. I built up the palm swell with putty, but that's just me.
2; At 10 meters and with quality pellets these can shoot one hole/hold the 10 ring.
3; Where there's a will ... but pretty much no.

Suggestions; Pelgun oil on the piston seal, available at large retailer. Put a pellet trap in the basement or garage, order some pellets and wear it out.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:20 PM

Comments below in green:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.J View Post
I want to purchase an air rifle for metallic silhouette offhand practice and have been thinking about one of the refurbished CMP rifles, but have a few questions.
1) I'm 6' tall and medium frame, will the rifle be fit with the spacers installed or are they designed for junior (smaller) shooters.?
I'm 5'10" but tend to like a length-of-pull a bit longer than most - the included spacers have worked very well for me & I don't think you'll have any problem at all.
2) What type of accuracy can I expect? Although I'll be using it for offhand practice, I still need accuracy. PS I've rarely met a rifle that isn't more accurate than I am .
I have does extensive bench testing with my (scoped) 853 and it shoots five different pellet styles into an average of 0.18" (5-shot groups) at 15 yds - tremendous accuracy.
I did a writeup of my Daisy 853 pellet test on RFC, in case you might be interested:
Extensive pellet test - Daisy 853 ... ** Suppressed **

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 11-08-2016 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added link
Old 03-08-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.J View Post
Can non clubs still buy the refub CMP daisy's?
Old 03-13-2017, 10:25 AM

I don't know why that wording is on there as there is no mention of this on the Order Form. Just fill it out, include payment and I'm sure you will get one in two weeks or less. If not, they will let you know but I never heard of anyone being denied. Either one is a fantastic buy and great for garage practice for offhand.

John
Old 03-13-2017, 10:26 AM

Thanks folks. Done.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:52 PM

I spoke with Tom Whitten today because my affiliate membership and NRA membership lapsed and he said there is no requirement for the Used Daisy 853 so I faxed my form over. Now the wait begins!