Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2016, 11:56 AM

Sir:

By all means, give it a try!

But to be honest........... I think you'll have a tough road ahead.

The M1A/M14 market is small. Prices aren't cheap, meaning sales are difficult compared to the cheaper rifles out there.

Look at what 2 producers in the field just did:

GWLA closed their doors and SA Inc recently introduced and is marketing hard their new AR line.

Neither are a good sign.

You hinted/mentioned some BM59's coming on to the market. I see them as competition to your efforts, not spurring any sales you might have.

Chances are, the BM59's will be cheaper than your set up.

Not a good sign.

If reviewers can get behind your product (and not start off in squabbles over minute details) and you deliver a quality product at a cheap as price as you can make it.
You'll sell some but it'll be a trickle..... there isn't a huge market, even for a solid well built rifle.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:58 AM

Glad to hear your moving forward, you've certainly earned it. I'll admit the M14 is something of a niche market, but no reason it can't work, there are enough people who demand quality after all.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with and it'd be good to have a source of GI quality parts available again. Also be real nice to have a forged receiver that is held to GI tolerances.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blademaker View Post
Glad to hear your moving forward, you've certainly earned it. I'll admit the M14 is something of a niche market, but no reason it can't work, there are enough people who demand quality after all.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with and it'd be good to have a source of GI quality parts available again. Also be real nice to have a forged receiver that is held to GI tolerances.
I think you will find, for informational purposes, that LRB and Bula Defense Systems are already producing forged receivers and are made to USGI specs. In the case of Bula, they have gone a step further and made them to the center of spec. in most cases.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blademaker View Post

If Rip and company can produce a quality product the likes of which GWs of L.A. produced they will sell receivers....period.

The problem with any startup is time. Folks will be slow to invest in such an expensive receiver until a few are built and word circulates they are putting out a first class product. They will have to be prepared to last through the hard times which could be as long a several years before they develop a following.

The three GWs of L.A. I have are top shelf, coupled with the custom heel stamp they are hard to beat. If M14/Rip do it right they will have a winner!!

I will definitely be in for several more, I've got an all TRW NM including TRW NM barrel to build, and looking to build one mix master for the fun of it.

I say go for it,

REN
Old 12-16-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Sir:

By all means, give it a try!

But to be honest........... I think you'll have a tough road ahead.

The M1A/M14 market is small. Prices aren't cheap, meaning sales are difficult compared to the cheaper rifles out there.

Look at what 2 producers in the field just did:

GWLA closed their doors and SA Inc recently introduced and is marketing hard their new AR line.

Neither are a good sign.

You hinted/mentioned some BM59's coming on to the market. I see them as competition to your efforts, not spurring any sales you might have.

Chances are, the BM59's will be cheaper than your set up.

Not a good sign.

If reviewers can get behind your product (and not start off in squabbles over minute details) and you deliver a quality product at a cheap as price as you can make it.
You'll sell some but it'll be a trickle..... there isn't a huge market, even for a solid well built rifle.

The BM59 numbers, 15K planned, I think will consume a lot of bucks spent for .308 caliber rifles.

With the political change coming in D.C. it will be interesting if previous import restrictions are relaxed.

But, as others say, developing a niche business in a high end custom M14 platform would have a following.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:53 PM

If you build it Rip, I will buy. Have always considered you a friend even though I have never met you personally. The way you have treated me in our deals state volumes about your unimpeachable integrity.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:21 PM

Is it to early to ask about group buys?

I would be interested in a quality receiver at a competitive price. Especially if you offer options and customization of stamps and serials, and maybe finishes.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:43 PM

I got to talking with Rip, like always. The heel stamp is most likely gonna be kinda cool. Old school WWII ranger diamond with B.A.R. He text me a sketch of it, and I'm excited. We also got to talking about an introductory price, and with the loose numbers crunching, I think it will be a really good and fair price.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordmm View Post
The BM59 numbers, 15K planned, I think will consume a lot of bucks spent for .308 caliber rifles.

With the political change coming in D.C. it will be interesting if previous import restrictions are relaxed.

But, as others say, developing a niche business in a high end custom M14 platform would have a following.
Yes... The BM59's would be competition, that is for sure.

There is alot of hope? that imports may loosen under a different admin. We will have to see if or how that works out.

There is a niche following of the M1A. But the fact is GWLA closed after a yr? and SA Inc is pushing their AR line hard. That doesn't bode well......

Regardless the OP seems to have been and is in tune with all this stuff...................

Good luck if you decide to make a go of it!

PS- Yes any chance of custom serials etc?
Old 12-17-2016, 06:25 AM

Rip and I have worked on several rifles (I watched, he worked). His work is impeccable, his attention to detail is outstanding, and the results fantastic. For me, he has corrected the work of two other so-called M1/M14 experts and set the rifles right the way they should have been in the first place. All the time we worked on things we talked away about everything M14. His knowledge of the design, fabrication and TRW's procedures does qualify him as an expert. Build 'em Rip. I want another one.