Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2017, 04:52 PM

Talking SA Inc. is a fine rifle !

Don't listen to the keyboard commandos, SA Inc. makes an EXCELLENT RECEIVER and rifles.

Back to the ammo. The best is load your own if you want the best accuracy.

Use the same weight bullets from 100- 600 yards. I have shot many matches using a 168 grain HPBT Sierra MK with excellent results. All of my M14s worked best with that weight bullet.
If you start changing weights for each change of distance you will never get the feel of what your weapon can do or even keep it sighted in for that matter so keep it simple.
By the way I never have scoped any M14s I have, never needed to but thats my choice, yours may be different.
Just learn the rifle, practice and you will become a rifleman.

There are NO SHORTCUTS IN THIS PROCESS !

JOKER
Old 04-19-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt.Joker1955 View Post
Don't listen to the keyboard commandos, SA Inc. makes an EXCELLENT RECEIVER and rifles.

Back to the ammo. The best is load your own if you want the best accuracy.

Use the same weight bullets from 100- 600 yards. I have shot many matches using a 168 grain HPBT Sierra MK with excellent results. All of my M14s worked best with that weight bullet.
If you start changing weights for each change of distance you will never get the feel of what your weapon can do or even keep it sighted in for that matter so keep it simple.
By the way I never have scoped any M14s I have, never needed to but thats my choice, yours may be different.
Just learn the rifle, practice and you will become a rifleman.

There are NO SHORTCUTS IN THIS PROCESS !

JOKER
This!
Old 04-19-2017, 07:19 PM

I have a Springfield standard and a Bula Forge, no problems from either. Every one I know thay have Fulton, Smith, Springfield, Fed Ord, shoot up to 175s. If you reload, I would say to have good case length resizing dies and get a RCBS MIC gauge to ensure your cases are at or under your chamber's headspace. My 2 cents
Old 04-21-2017, 06:59 AM

Gentlemen, There does seem to be an issue with some Atomic .308 ammo. There have been a number of posts on the internet showing failed cases. These failures were pretty severe and the fracture was in an unusual location. Some resulted in rifle damage. A friend has some of the Atomic ammo and asked me to inspect some of it for him. I pulled bullets and wighted charges - all were within limits for IMR 4064 propellant. I did noticed a bit of variation but none were above the published data for this propellant. I sectioned a few cases and I saw nothing abnormal. I honestly do not know what to conclude about this ammo.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:22 AM

Continued on the evaluation of the Atomic .308 stuff in my stash.
Bullets are seated the same as GMM with a CBTO of 2.217
They chrono about 100 fps slower than GMM, but are very consistent.
Today I chambered a bunch in a couple of my tight match chambered bolt rifles and there were no problems.
I do understand that Atomic also produces .308 match using new brass in addition to the older stuff we are talking about that is reloaded.
Looks good to go from my prospective.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 04-21-2017, 10:47 AM

I run all the current commercial flavors 145-150 grain FMJ of 7.62x51 through my M1A, and LR-308 with no problem.

Those include:

ZQI, Perfecta, PPU, Fed. AE XM80, WWB, PMC X-tac, and more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I also hand load for 7.62/.308. I make a "bulk" mild steel target plinking load that works excellent and shoots well in both platforms with mixed brass, 39 grains of H4895, and 150 grain FMJ Hornady bullets. For paper punching, my M1A LOVES 155 grain Nosler HPBT Custom comp's. over 41 grains of H4895, while the LR-308 prefers Hornady 168 grain HPBT Match bullets over 43 grains of BL-C(2)
Old 04-22-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
Gentlemen, There does seem to be an issue with some Atomic .308 ammo. There have been a number of posts on the internet showing failed cases. These failures were pretty severe and the fracture was in an unusual location. Some resulted in rifle damage. A friend has some of the Atomic ammo and asked me to inspect some of it for him. I pulled bullets and wighted charges - all were within limits for IMR 4064 propellant. I did noticed a bit of variation but none were above the published data for this propellant. I sectioned a few cases and I saw nothing abnormal. I honestly do not know what to conclude about this ammo.
Me, I wouldn't risk my rifle or any body parts with that ammo. No way to be sure what powder they used either. I thought I'd heard they used varget but whos to say they didn't have supply issues or get a cheaper powder. Some lots/runs may be ok but I've seen to many reports of case failures for it to be a fluke imho. Why take a risk on something questionable?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:43 AM

I can agree on the Federal ammo. Recently I bought out a collection of rifles and ammo. With it I have 4500 rounds of the Federal Gold Match in the white and blue colored boxes and my M1A's (both LRB and early Springfield) shoot great with the ammo. It is clean and groups very well.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:37 AM

I get the best results from LC M118 in my M1A.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to VinnAY

Which Hornady (I think it was Hornady) manual has the best load data one of those supposedly has a good section on service rifle/gas gun loading. thanks!