Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2017, 12:33 PM

Lightbulb Alright Lads and Ladies from Glasgow, Scotland

Hi everyone. My name is Scott, I'm a 24 year old Scotsman with a passion for Reenactment, Living History and M1 Rifles as well as other 2nd World War Weapons.

In the UK you need a few licenses to own a live garand, depending onnif you want straight pull (Section 1) and semi auto - secrion 5, so I have to make do with deactivated M1 Garands.

I currently have 5 Deactivates M1 Rifles:

4 are the pre British 1995 Deactivation specs -
Still cocks, dry fires, strips down to receiver and barrel but these 2 pieces are welded together and the barrel is cut at the bottom and a steel rod is put in place and welded inside the barrel.
Very few have open chambers at the receivers as most have pins welded across the barrel entrance, however some have open chambers.
Some have bolts that have had their firing pins ground down so they cannot fire or missing firing pins completely, others have the lower half of the bolt face cut away.
Some can still cycle and eject rounds.

I also have a post 1995/pre April 2016 deactvated one which has everything welded. Cannot strip, except for trigger housing. All the innards - follower, bullet guide etc are removed. The slide can still move back and forth but the op rod catch is welded in place, and the side of the bilt which is caught by the op rod is cut off. Trigger welded in cocked position. Heartbreaking😔

Then there are current spec (EU April 2016+ - everything is welded! I have never seen one of these yet and am not looking forward to it. I will not he buying one.

My rifles are all SA:

2004** March 1941
32628** October 1944
32731** October 1944
33007** October 1944
34979** February 1945

I am a member of a few groups on Facebook devoted to the collection of and enthusiasm for the M1 Rifle and have been repeatedly advised to join this forum to find parts such as sights and butt plates as apparently this place if full of experts so hi again and I'm looking forward to gettinf help and all the info I can store!

I am really looking for a Deactivated Winchester in the UK but as yet nothing has come up! I also am very passionate about restoring my rifles to wartime spec as much as possible with the exception of barrels which are unfortunately welded to receivers. I'm happy to say that I have an array of Winchester parts as spares and also being currently used in my SA rifles.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to future discussions!

Scott from Scotland.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:25 PM

Welcome. My family is also from Scotland though a couple hundred years ago. Hope you enjoy the forum.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:54 PM

Default Welcome

Scott, welcome to the CMP forum. Darn shame you can't own a functional M1 Garand. I visited Glasgow twice, when the Navy Reserve sent me to Holy Loch for 3 weeks(did that 3 different times). I was attached to Submarine Squadron 14 staff.
I thoroughly enjoyed being there, so much that I purchased a complete kilt to match my great, great grandmothers maiden name; McNeil.

Regards
Bill
Old 05-23-2017, 01:18 AM

Haha excellent! All the best people have Scottish ancestors!

Scott
Old 05-25-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnhem44mad View Post
Haha excellent! All the best people have Scottish ancestors!

Scott
A warm welcome from the colonies from Clan Lindsay- my moms maiden name.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:50 AM

Thank you!

Scott
Old 05-27-2017, 05:13 PM

Welcome to the forum Scott, good to hear from a young man your age with an interest in the second world war and of course the Garand.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:54 AM

Much obliged bud! Always been interested from a very toung age!��

Scott
Old 06-01-2017, 01:41 PM

A warm welcome to the forum from a clan Douglas member. It is great you have this passion, it is just too bad your access to specimens are limited. I have a good friend from Reading that comes over every so often and he makes it a point to build in time for a trip to the range. He has definitely also been bit by the bug, but he just does not have the interest in older stuff (a big fan of black rifles). However last time I did make him shoot a No4 Mk1 BAS Enfield. While maybe he did not appreciate it I felt it was something he should not pass on.

I look forward to your future questions. If you can post photos of your SA's I'm sure we would all like to see them.

Flem
Old 06-16-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemjasmo View Post
A warm welcome to the forum from a clan Douglas member. It is great you have this passion, it is just too bad your access to specimens are limited. I have a good friend from Reading that comes over every so often and he makes it a point to build in time for a trip to the range. He has definitely also been bit by the bug, but he just does not have the interest in older stuff (a big fan of black rifles). However last time I did make him shoot a No4 Mk1 BAS Enfield. While maybe he did not appreciate it I felt it was something he should not pass on.

I look forward to your future questions. If you can post photos of your SA's I'm sure we would all like to see them.

Flem
Hi Flem, how do I post photos?

Thanks, Scott

Last edited by arnhem44mad; 06-16-2017 at 04:47 PM.