Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2017, 09:14 AM

Default Korean VET son, a newbie..

well. my friend chuck said I should join,,, mainly because I have some cool stuff,, but also he can't sell my stuff 3rd party.. so I'm here.... i have some carbines I bought 10-15 years ago for my father, a Korean War Veteran,

He was an officer in charge of the front line and was over 1951-53, and fought on Old Baldy, and was medaled/ silver/ bronze star with valor. No one ever knew how he got all his medals, until his 75th bday, (about 10yrs ago). So as his sister came up, to view all his photos we put on the wall, he finally told her, as I stood in the background.

So, they were getting shelled, as usual, and he had some new guys down on the front, and they took a direct shell in the bunker, after my father saw this, he immediately ran down/up to the front, under fire, and carried them back, piece by piece, part by part, not once, not twice, but three times, As my aunt, teared up, he said, "there were parts everywhere."

a few week went by, he was pulled off the line to go back to head quarters, and was driving a jeep, and the OC, in charge hat blew off, so he stopped, and about 30 feet in front of the jeep, a mortar, exploded, and he's always said, someone was looking after them, as they were being tracked, down the road/ and if his hat didn't blow off, they been gone..... they were heading back, to HQ, where he was awarded the medals, and he told them, ' thanks, but ahh, I have to get back to my boys", and put the medals in his pocket, and boys meaning, 18-19 year olds, i think my father was 19/20yrs old.

My father always talked about the Turkish fighters, as if they drew their knives, they were not allowed to come back, unless it was bloodied, My father was there on the cease-fire, were 1-2 hours before the time came, each side, shot, "everything they had" at the other side, because they didn't want to carry it home.. and then when the time came it was silent..

I remember as a kid growing up, last of 10 children, and going through my fathers stuff/ and seeing all the medals, and then asking him one year, where'd he graduate from, and he pulled out a book, an OCS book, and Said, I didn't graduate high school, but from here,, (and I was so young and confused as to why dad never graduated High School, later I understood.) In 1953, he left the military, due to cuts in pay, and he'd seen enough, and came home and had 10 kids, to never talk about it again..
He was also a small arms instructor at Ft, Benning, and in the 101st at some point,

He was in the 7th Div, 31st regiment(if I can remember) and we did a show once and took the M16 Quad Mount, "Meatchopper" Halftrack, and he was in full uniform, and another Korean Vet came up, after seeing his "Pinks and Blues" and oddly came to realize, they were on/ near each other, in 1951-53, and discussed the "halftrack" that was near him, down the hill. It was a Quad mount, We've had a great time with all this stuff, and its time to move it on, so keep an I out for some cool stuff, in the for sale section soon, M45, M55 Quad Mount .50cal, carbines, and other goodies.

Photos to come soon!!! Thank YOU Veterans!!!!

**all I ask is if you see a proud veteran, wearing a hat, or a uniform,

just tell them, "thank you for your service!"

Last edited by 1969Hemi; 05-26-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:05 AM

Default Welcome from TX.

Wow, what a story! I am grateful for your Fathers service. When I was in Boy Scouts in the late 70's one of the Fathers was a Korean War Vet. He was a medic and an awesome dad. He was always helping us tenderfoots out. On one of our camping trips i got the chance to shoot an M-1 Carbine for the first time and at a jackrabbit which we put in the pot. Those were the days.

Welcome from one newbie to another!
Old 05-26-2017, 10:10 AM

never saw my father shoot a rifle until we went to the farm, 30-6, hollow point, for ground hogs,, He NEVER missed... I was amazed.....
Old 07-21-2017, 12:56 PM

I was in Korea 4 times while in the Army, with the 1st time in 1960-61. They had rebuilt Seoul pretty much by then, but up north along the DMZ was still pretty rough. The good thing about up near the DMZ, the buildings were pretty easy for them to repair or replace with some mud/cement mixture and a new thatched roof. The roads were still a mess. I was also in the 7th Inf Div, and as a Truck Driver, drove all the roads north of Uijongbu, up into the DMZ.

I have thousands of photos of the Camps north of Seoul, taken from the 1950s, up through last year.
http://brucerichards.com/army/korea%20pics.htm

Bruce Richards, US Army Retired.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:16 AM

Welcome 1969Hemi..the mention of Uijongbu triggered some memories of when I was stationed in Korea from Aug. 64 to Aug. 65. I was a microwave technician stationed on top of a mountain at Uijongbu for about two months, then transferred to Ashcom Hill as a replacement, then to 8th Army headquarters in Seoul, again as a replacement. I wouldn't have changed a thing, except I wish I would have tried to learn the Korean language. Kudos to your father for his service.