Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2017, 04:33 PM

Default Is it me or the rifle

This is my M1A loaded I just got it back from Springfield after having it upgraded to NM a week before the Nationals. It was not shooting right after I got it back every couple of shots I would have to add elevation. I put about 50 rds through it and finally said that is as close as its going to get. That was at 300 yards with 168gr bullets and 42.5 grs. of IMR 4895, the standard M1A load. At Camp Perry without touching anything my first shot at the Springfield M1A match was 16 " high. I put 12 clicks down into it and after 3 shots had it in the 10 ring. The next shot was low in the 9 ring. The next shot was low in the 8 ring. I put 2 clicks up and the next shot was in the 10 ring. The next shot was low in the 9 ring. The next shot was low in the 8 ring. Up 2 more clicks. See the pattern. I quit even trying to guess my shots. Normally I shoot 6 o'clock hold but after continually adjusting up I just started aiming a little higher. By the end of the match I was aiming at the top of the black. Yesterday I took the rifle out again. I sighted it in for 200 yrds. The 1st picture was the target after 40 rnds using a sling in prone. The first shot was high then without adjusting the shots just keep getting lower till they were out of the black. The second picture was off a bench rest. I let the rifle cool down and the shots started high and kept getting lower. I readjusted back to center. The third picture, using a sling in prone, shows exactly what is happening. The first shot is a 10 the shots keep getting lower. The 10th shot is low way out of the black.

I am at a loss now on what to do.

http://imgur.com/a/pSVTR
Old 08-20-2017, 04:49 PM

I use 168 gr HPBT bullets and have not had any issues as your.
Can you run down the gun (type of stock, barrel, op rod, trigger guard etc).
Old 08-20-2017, 05:44 PM

Have you looked at your rear sight?
It's sounds as though it's loose and needs to be tightened/replaced.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:44 PM

Based on the info provided, your rear sight is clicking down. Tighten rear sight and bear down on positions, zero will probably be a little different for each position. Head position must be same for every shot, get good spot weld and have stock in your shoulder same each shot. M1A's are more work than ar to shoot well.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:55 AM

I see your point about the rear sight. That was my first thought. But if I grab the aperture I cannot move it. The rear sight aperture, sight base and windage knob was just upgraded by Springfield to NM. The stock was bedded, the gas system unitized, and a new op rod spring and guide.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:19 PM

Was this problem worse in early rifles? My serial number is 106xxx?
Old 08-21-2017, 01:31 PM

Never send out a rifle for mods close to a real match date...that rifle needs 300 rds to shake itself and you down. With regards to floating rear sight issues I would disassemble the while rear sight, clean and ck, reassemble. I have 0 trust in the Newer SAInc rifles or the support team...too many sad stories to tell.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:11 PM

There is no reason to believe there is anything "wrong" with your rifle, you may need to simply tighten the rear sight. Run the sight up 20 clicks and push down hard on it with your thumb, like you are trying to push the aperture back into the sight base. If you are able to push the sight down, it needs to be tightened. Or you could run the sight up 12 clicks and go shoot 20 rounds and check if the sight is still at 12 clicks. Do this before you go into other stuff. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
There is no reason to believe there is anything "wrong" with your rifle, you may need to simply tighten the rear sight. Run the sight up 20 clicks and push down hard on it with your thumb, like you are trying to push the aperture back into the sight base. If you are able to push the sight down, it needs to be tightened. Or you could run the sight up 12 clicks and go shoot 20 rounds and check if the sight is still at 12 clicks. Do this before you go into other stuff. Good luck.

This ^^^^
Old 08-21-2017, 06:56 PM

I have 500 rounds on a NoS 65 SA barrel and she can now hit the bull at 600 if I do my part. You barrel is most likely the problem.