Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2017, 07:55 AM

Default Sadlak N M Gas Piston w/ Titanium Nitride Coating

Gentlemen,

I bought the grooved Sadlak NM gas piston with TN coating because I shoot 175 gr bullets and attempt long range accuracy with my M1a. What I experienced was my accuracy (size of groups) at 1000 yds went to hell on a hand cart , when I reinstalled my stock gas piston, accuracy returned.

I thought the Sadlak NM piston was the answer for heavier 175 gr loads and protect the gas system and accuracy would not diminish.

Now I wonder am I stressing the gas system using the stock piston with 175 gr loads and further use of stock gas piston with such loads is not a good idea.

Not the money invested being an issue, its spent and in rear view mirror, the issue is continue with stock piston or not.

The only thing I noticed using this Sadlak NM grooved piston was a minor decline in recoil and fired brass plonked down at 2 o'clock in a tight pile vs a larger spread of brass when using the stock piston.

I'd be very interested in your experiences with this piston and your thoughts of my continued use of stock gas piston with 175 gr loads. Thank you.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:00 AM

Standard pistons have been working just fine for me in my rifles and I have been shooting 175s for many years along with all other sorts of fodder.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:04 AM

Standard worked fine for me, and the Smith Enterprise SBR Hard Chrome Piston is even better - stays clean longer.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:08 AM

Thank you Sir for that reply. It is indeed looking like I chased a rain bow with this Sadlak piston. Might be okay for 600 yd work and 150 gr loads with no ill effects, I guess I could test that out at some point but I am of a mind that a piston ought to work all the time, not situational for distances / light bullets.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O MAN View Post
Standard worked fine for me, and the Smith Enterprise SBR Hard Chrome Piston is even better - stays clean longer.
Sir, understand cleaning was easier but was accuracy improved using the SBR coated piston ? As you know, I've already chased one rainbow . Cleaning at this point is not a feature I am focused on, its function / accuracy. If the Smith will gain me something, I am all ears and hope you will respond on that focus.
Thank You.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:20 AM

Accuracy was improved on standard builds, not so much with my custom SEI builds - they were already extremely accurate.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:55 PM

Strangely enough, any given rifle will exhibit different accuracy (improved or not) when using different pistons. Sadlak pistons are known for their consistency in manufacturing, but may still not give the same results in different rifles. Gas cylinders play a roll in this also.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:44 AM

I am going to fold the tent on my rifle and accuracy. Its a bone stock 1992 Springfield Armory M1A. With a scope on it, when I hold and have a good day, I can get 11 inch groups at 1000 yds with 175 gr loads and when I don't do the basics well, I slide to 15 inches and that is all my failures. With stock gas piston it can do 11 inches and with Sadlak, the rounds are all over the KD target so there is no love to be had with Sadlak NM TN coated piston. I am turning the page on pistons and just go with what I have.

I fight the trigger, I'll chase a trigger job and see if I can shoot better with the rifle . Its a battle rifle, and realistically, a 600 yd weapon and it was made for that . I have pushed the envelope and its done as good as can be expected for a stock M1A.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:09 AM

I would like to try 1000 yard shooting someday, but most of my practical shooting is done inside of 400 yards.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:20 AM

One other option is to try the non-grooved Sadlak piston (which is what I use in my M21 Tactical match with 168gr SMK, with good results). However, if you are getting 11 to 15 inch groups at a 1000 yds, I'd say you are doing very well. (that's only 1.5 MOA at 1000 yds - which is excellent for a semi-auto). Sadlack gas pistons are cheap enough that experimentation with one of the standard Sadlacks might be worthwhile. My 2cts worth.