Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > Parts For Sale or Trade > Other > Pay It Forward... Freebies!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2017, 04:23 PM

Default Stamp collectors?

Do we have any members with kids who collect stamps? I have several boxes of US and foreign postage stamps that I accumulated back in the 60s and I can't find any local kids who collect stamps. I will mail a box full to any kid who has an interest in stamps rather than throw them in the trash. Let me hear from anyone interested.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:33 PM

Well, I'm a stamp collector. Started in Cub Scouts back in the 50's.

Have an entire room in the house mostly devoted to my collection.

No one in the family is interested. I too would send some stamps to some kids that would need them.

Have some on paper, and they could learn how to soak, dry, and press them. Those were the days.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 08-27-2017, 04:38 PM

Should have also said that lots of the stamps have a history lesson tied to them.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 08-27-2017, 04:39 PM

Want some more? If I don't get any responses from kids, you can have them. I still have my collection, but these are all excess accumulation. We can keep in contact.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medalguy View Post
Want some more? If I don't get any responses from kids, you can have them. I still have my collection, but these are all excess accumulation. We can keep in contact.
Will keep my eye out. Hope we can come up with some kids.

My collection has taken a back seat to my M1 collection.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:49 PM

As a suggestion, you guys might try local grade schools, maybe a presentation. Might find some young'uns interested.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:09 PM

That was the first place I went. Seems kids just don't do anything not digital these days.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:06 PM

Funny this came up.
The other day I was telling one of my sons-in-law how we all collected stamps and kept stamp albums in the '50s and he looked at me as though I was nuts. Nowadays everything's email, texting, and online bill-paying. They don't even use stamps anymore.
I learned a lot of geography and a lot of history and had a lot of fun with stamps...it was a great hobby. How else would you know where Helvetia is?

Tinpig
Old 08-27-2017, 11:23 PM

Coins also! I acquired a large early collection from a local estate, I paid what I thought was a fair price to the family, turned out most were only worth their weight in scrap, lesson learned.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:18 AM

I have one, maybe two granddaughters into stamp and coin collecting, They are 6 and 9, and do not yet have cell phones, so who knows how long this will last.

Medalguy, Kansas, I'm sure they'd get a thrill out of whatever you can part with.