Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Is it Real or Repro?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2017, 11:18 PM

Default M1 Barrel Band- Help?

My girlfriend wanted to give me a surprise birthday present and picked up some auctions I was closely inspecting without knowing the whole deal about M1 parts.

While I'm somewhat excited, I'm also a bit scared as I wasn't ready to pull the trigger on something I wasn't certain about, I was hoping someone could look over these parts for me.

The original ebay seller appears to part out carbines and garands. The description for this band was:

Un-marked**type 1 band with type 1 Un-marked swivel.
Three (3)**rounded spot welds**on a**Un-marked band**were used by**early Inland**and made by**a sub contractor named "Exotic".****Found on pg 37 image #2 in J.C. Harrison's book, "The M1 Carbine III"
The Un-marked**type 1 (Narrow)**swivel was used by Inland in their earliets production and**quite rare today.**
The band assembly is in**good condition as is the swivel and screw.
It is not a REPO band, its 100%**original USGI.
Now so you better understand this 1 band came from the CMP South Store in Anniston on a mix master carbine purchased back in 2008-2011.
Good**condition charcoal color.

The band seems to be made of spring steel as it pops back into shape when the ends are pinched. The weld marks are visible on the inside of the barrel band, but faint- mostly made out by the pattern of the bluing that is rubbing off. Under very close inspection the seam towards the top of the band becomes near invisible.

As for the flip sight- well, I know virtually nothing about those other than supposedly it comes from the same gun, it's park'd, marked with a S on the base and a W-I on the flipping part.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Drix; 10-07-2017 at 01:16 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:39 AM

Flip sight is real, Inland W.I.
The swivel and screw look real, The band may be. three light spot welds look like real ones. Just use it and move on.
Thank your girl friend.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:45 AM

Thanks for looking!

If I said the spot under the screw head was worn and the bluing had been rubbed off in a circular pattern and was bright silver in Color would it change your mind at all?

I love the gesture on my gf's part, but we're looking to get married soon and if it's a knock off I think we'd both agree Id rather run a knockoff at knockoff pricing.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:45 AM

The biggest issue for me is the "backed on" grease. That is what the fakers are doing to made a part look old. I don't know why someone would shine under the screw head. The first thing that shows wear is the screw slot. But wear on the band under the screw head should match the wear on the under side of the screw. But these parts can not be original to each other.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:38 AM

Flip sight ok. BB looks good too. If it's a repro, it's much better than most.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:32 PM

PM sent