Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2017, 02:39 PM

Thanks! This is going to be a deer load so I'll start at 46.6 and work up to around 50-50.5 as I'd like to get upwards of 2850-2900'/sec. Great....I just retired from health care 2 years ago ...getting rusty and need some face and chest trauma to keep my skills up....so your in New Haven Michigan .....when do you plan to go hunting I can get Hospital Privileges instated there at the ER....let me know....we'll have the Trauma team ready. Your pushing the weapon to beyond its Max Limits Sir. Boom.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardhuge View Post
Thanks! This is going to be a deer load so I'll start at 46.6 and work up to around 50-50.5 as I'd like to get upwards of 2850-2900'/sec. Great....I just retired from health care 2 years ago ...getting rusty and need some face and chest trauma to keep my skills up....so your in New Haven Michigan .....when do you plan to go hunting I can get Hospital Privileges instated there at the ER....let me know....we'll have the Trauma team ready. Your pushing the weapon to beyond its Max Limits Sir. Boom.
Wrong fella.

But, it's ok. I don't mind having that peace of mind anyways!
Old 09-13-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardhuge View Post
Well it would be nice if somebody told me what the CUP or PSI on a Garand is. I read that they are sensitive to powders that are too slow or too fast because of the pressure curve being off. Is 4064 not a good powder for the Garand? If not, what replicates the original....4895?? I'm looking at quick load and 50 grains of 4064 shows 56900 PSI. 47 grains shows 48,700 PSI. Thank you for the warning but I could do without a hospital story. Regards, Rick.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
You don't need a load that hot. Bad for you, bad for the rifle, generally bad for accuracy. You are obviously looking at data for bolt guns.
Obviously! Thanks for the sound advice. Regards, Rick.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakorick View Post
Well it would be nice if somebody told me what the CUP or PSI on a Garand is. I read that they are sensitive to powders that are too slow or too fast because of the pressure curve being off. Is 4064 not a good powder for the Garand? If not, what replicates the original....4895?? I'm looking at quick load and 50 grains of 4064 shows 56900 PSI. 47 grains shows 48,700 PSI. Thank you for the warning but I could do without a hospital story. Regards, Rick.
Follow the load data in any credible reloading book. Hornady 7th edition has one specific to the M1. IMR 4064 is a staple for Garand loads. Hornady doesn't list 4064 for 150 grain bullets. But, I have shot 150 grain pills over 46-47 grains of 4064 with good pressure signs and accuracy.

As everyone else has indicated, shooting such high velocities (that 48+ grains of 4064 produces) is hard on the rifle.

It isn't because the chamber or receiver itself couldn't take the abuse, because it can. It's the operating rod that can't. Other components may wear prematurely from ridiculously high charges as well. Most likely they'll be fine, but again why try to push the luck on something over 50-70 years old?

47 grains of IMR 4064 with a 150 grain pill puts you at around 2700 fps, which was the service load standard of the US army (at least close to it).
Old 09-13-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
Follow the load data in any credible reloading book. Hornady 7th edition has one specific to the M1. IMR 4064 is a staple for Garand loads. Hornady doesn't list 4064 for 150 grain bullets. But, I have shot 150 grain pills over 46-47 grains of 4064 with good pressure signs and accuracy.

As everyone else has indicated, shooting such high velocities (that 48+ grains of 4064 produces) is hard on the rifle.

It isn't because the chamber or receiver itself couldn't take the abuse, because it can. It's the operating rod that can't. Other components may wear prematurely from ridiculously high charges as well. Most likely they'll be fine, but again why try to push the luck on something over 50-70 years old?

47 grains of IMR 4064 with a 150 grain pill puts you at around 2700 fps, which was the service load standard of the US army (at least close to it).
47 grains it is! I don't want to push the limits on anything.....not at 72 years young anyway. The dead deer doesn't know he was killed by a bullet at 2700'/sec. I have been reloading since growing up in Colorado. I killed my first deer at age 13 with a 1903A3 Smith Corona in 1962. My brother and I were taught to reload by a Denver Policeman named Dick Welsh. We would load the case up to the base of the neck and jam a 180 grain Nosler partition making it a slightly compressed load. I killed a lot of deer and Elk with that old gun. Paid $14.95 for it at the Pueblo Armory. I'm glad I found you guys......you saved me from doing something stupid.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:49 PM

Exclamation

Just remember that an M1 Garand is not a 1903A3 and data for that A3 can be dangerous in an M1 if the wrong powder and too heavy a bullet is used. You should do fine with 47gr of 4064 and 150's, though proper load development might give you better accuracy. Deer have a 6" kill zone so anything within a small paper plate will get it done. Proper load development by starting lower than that 47 and working up to no higher than 48 could easly achieve 3" 100 yard groups. In all my Garands, when I exceeded 46.5 gr accuracy started to suffer. 46 of Varget or 4064 produced the best.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
Just remember that an M1 Garand is not a 1903A3 and data for that A3 can be dangerous in an M1 if the wrong powder and too heavy a bullet is used. You should do fine with 47gr of 4064 and 150's, though proper load development might give you better accuracy. Deer have a 6" kill zone so anything within a small paper plate will get it done. Proper load development by starting lower than that 47 and working up to no higher than 48 could easly achieve 3" 100 yard groups. In all my Garands, when I exceeded 46.5 gr accuracy started to suffer. 46 of Varget or 4064 produced the best.
OK got it.