Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles > Mann Accuracy Device
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 08:54 PM

Default The MANN ACCURACY DEVICE

The MANN ACCURACY DEVICE - What Is It ?"
a.k.a MANN Accuracy Rifle

I would like to revive an interest in the MANN Accuracy Device. I do so hoping that future purchasers of this rare and historical machine will appreciate it even more. I have no way of knowing how many unaltered MANN barrels still exist in the CMP inventory. Most purchasers see these as potentially accurate rifles but only if they are modified. I see them at the ultimate accuracy rifle as long as they are not modified. I own two of them and have no intent to destroy them as they were designed and hope other purchasers will follow me. Many threads on the MANN Device were lost when the old CMP Forum software crashed. A few new threads have been posted since then

The mystery of the MANN Accuracy Device explained.
http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...allistics.html
Dr. Mann: Father of Ballistic Science by: Warren Sipe (1960)

Other references -
"The bullet's flight from powder to target" is a 384 page, 14.3 megabyte document by Dr. Franklin Weston Mann.
A PDF version can be read or downloaded from castpics.net at the following link :
NOTE : This a very large document that is best viewed after being downloaded to your computer hard drive. If you page through it from the Internet you will get bored very quickly waiting for the response.
http://castpics.net/subsite2/ClassicWorks/The_bullet_s_flight_from_powder_to_targe.pdf

Hatcher's Notebook - Julian S. Hatcher, Major General, U. S. Army, Retired in PDF (629 pages, 91.8 megabytes) see page 511
http://photos.imageevent.com/badgerdog/generalstorage/hatchersnotebook/Hatchers_Notebook_searchable.pdf

Last edited by VMFn542bob; 10-12-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Added new heading
Old 04-07-2012, 09:45 PM

Bob,
Excellent, 2 real good books to read. And yes like you i now have 2 mann accuracy devices, and i just picked up a couple of months ago a barrel from a mann accuracy device. My first one i bought was an abandon project from the group as i had stated in another thread and can be converted back to original, no drilling to the reciever, i turned it into a bench/ sniper rifle and won a f class/ prone match with it (200yd reduced targets).

the other one i have is put away for a rainy day, more of a safe queen, now that i have a back up barrel. But if im lucky i might put close to a 100 or less thru it a year so the barrel should last me a life time. i am hoping this year that i will get a chance to shoot it at a physical 600yds. Now you had just given me 2 books that im going to have to find time to read(other then my usual transmission manuals), i read the article on mr. mann, very interesting biography on him and his life and interests. By the way what ever happened to the postal match that everyone was hyped up for and i dont think it ever happened.

Last edited by pwrshifter; 04-07-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 AM

OK - You've got me hooked. I started to skim through Dr Mann's Book - all I can say is WOW! The depth of experimentation is amazing!

Are Mann Devices still sold?
Old 04-08-2012, 11:43 AM

Sold at the bottom of the page:

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/miscellaneous.htm
Old 04-08-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpete View Post
Are Mann Devices still sold?
Click here, go to bottom half of page.

I'm what you'd call a legend in my own mind.

2071 posts on the old forum - not that I'm counting . . .
Old 04-08-2012, 09:18 PM

I wonder how one would go about making this a "sticky"?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:17 PM

Default The MANN Accuracy Device for 5.56mm Nato

The MANN Accuracy Device for 5.56mm Nato Ammunition
Aerodynamic & Flight Dynamic Characteristics of the New Family of 5.56mm Nato Ammunition
A report on testing Lake City 5.56mm M855 (Ball) and M856 (Tracer) ammunition using the MANN Accuracy Device Kart-manufactured barrels.
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA162133

Accuracy and Jump Measurements of the 5.56-mm M855 Cartridge - ARL-TR-5540 May 2011
The U.S. Army Research Laboratory (ARL) performed a jump test and analysis to evaluate the accuracy of the
M855 projectile when fired from the M4 weapon system, and from a Mann barrel for comparison.
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA542434

Last edited by VMFn542bob; 04-15-2012 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Added link to Accuracy and Jump Measurements
Old 04-11-2012, 01:07 PM

Thanks for posting that, though I wished you would have waited 3 days. This might cost me more money.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:14 PM

Cool info, thanks!

Steve
Old 04-15-2012, 10:38 AM

The Remington Action on the Mann device doen't have a recoil lug.

How does that affect the device and how would one put it in a stock???

I don't want to do any modifications to the action/device itself.

Last edited by kraigwy; 04-15-2012 at 10:42 AM.