Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2019, 08:20 PM

Default Thoughts on "in the white" chamber on my Winchester?

I've had this gal for a while now. CMP Service grade Winchester built around 08/44 and came with the original barrel with a MW2, TE3. What's the hives opinion on if the barrel has been reparked? The barrel stampings look pretty crips as does the drawing number on the top of the barrel? Also......is this a good candidate for a possible restoration? Yes.....I'm aware of the cost but it does have the WRA bolt. Currently has a unmodified -6 op rod and some other nice WWII SA parts with good remaining finish plus she shoots decent groups still. Pics of chamber and barrel

Old 09-19-2019, 09:38 PM

Default WRA barrel chamber

I have seen this before on WRA Garand barrels. The inner part of the chamber is "in the white" or bright if you want to say that. The outer part is parkerizied. Where SA and all the post war chambers are in the white. Something how they used plugs to block the parkerizing fluid from getting down the barrel. SA must have used a screw on plug because I've noticed that the threads on the barrel are also in the white. Maybe, but I don't know for certain. Maybe someone else know how it was done there. Generally speaking, If a non-winchester barrel is parked at the rear of the chamber, it means its been refinished. Your barrel appears to me the original finish.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:00 AM

Exclamation

Early Winchester? Many early barrels, including early SA will have dark staining on the breech area presumably due to the combination of the metallurgy and extended use of corrosive ammo. It's pretty common.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
Early Winchester? Many early barrels, including early SA will have dark staining on the breech area presumably due to the combination of the metallurgy and extended use of corrosive ammo. It's pretty common.
It's a 2,476,*** serial range rifle. The dark "splotch" might be from op rod grease. She's an August 1944 build.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:22 PM

Thoughts from the hive on whether to or not to get her back to 100% Winchester?
Old 09-20-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazaroo View Post
Thoughts from the hive on whether to or not to get her back to 100% Winchester?
You have a good start with what is probably a correct barreled receiver for a late dated rifle. The key parts (cartouched stock, uncut op-rod, rear sight, and other smaller parts) would cost a couple of thousand dollars
, with some very hard to find.

It's your call!

Good luck.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:57 PM

Correcting a Winchester is crazy expensive. With all of the great rifles coming from CMP right now, mail order and stores, I'd rather put that money toward more rifles. But personally I'd rather have 3 rebuilds with history than a corrected rifle for the same money.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the input folks. Sometimes I just need something to do. I've built my fair share of retro AR's. I'm finishing the restoration on a old Triumph motorcycle so this one may be the next thing on my list.